• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

As, like

Hello,

Could anyone explain to me the difference between "as" and "like"?

Do I say "do as I did" or "do like I did"?

Thank you

Re: As, like

Quote Originally Posted by idiotmike View Post
    Hello,

Could anyone explain to me the difference between "as" and "like"?

Do I say "do as I did" or "do like I did"?

Thank you
    I would, first, add an object: "it". I think it makes better examples.

1) Do it as I did it. - This is more natural sounding like this: Do it the same as I did. or: Do it the same as I did it.

2) Do it like I did. or: Do it like I did it.

It's considered informal to use "like" as a conjunction, though it used regularly in spoken language and in writing as well.

Using "as" as a conjunction is always correct.

When you have a choice between "as" and "like", just as in your example sentences, remember that using "like" will make your communication sound more informal.

If you are writing a business letter, for example, use "as". Sometimes it's better to use "as though" or "as if". It depends on the sentence.

I would read this usage note to gain a good understanding of "like" used as a conjunction.

like: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

USAGE NOTE Writers since Chaucer's time have used like as a conjunction, but 19th-century and 20th-century critics have been so vehement in their condemnations of this usage that a writer who uses the construction in formal style risks being accused of illiteracy or worse. Prudence requires The dogs howled aswe expected them to. Like is more acceptably used as a conjunction in informal style with verbs such as feel, look, seem, sound, and taste, as in It looks like we are in for a rough winter. But here too as if is to be preferred in formal writing. There can be no objection to the use of like as a conjunction when the following verb is not expressed, as in He took to politics like a duck to water. See Usage Notes at as1, together.