• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Smile what I wouldn't have

"Lizzie, What am I going to do? I've messed up everything. If I'd never met you..." said Turner.
    "If you'd never met me, I'd still be in Pownal. What I wouldn't have... well, you know what I wouldn't have. I don't have to say it."

In the story, there is an insane asylum in Pownal.
    In the story, the selfish town people sent Lizzie(she is a black girl) to the asylum and she is there now.
    Turner is thinking of Lizzie and imagined as if she were with him.
    I can't fairly understand the bolded part. Please help!!!

Re: what I wouldn't have

Quote Originally Posted by frindle View Post
    "Lizzie, What am I going to do? I've messed up everything. If I'd never met you..." said Turner.
    "If you'd never met me, I'd still be in Pownal. What I wouldn't have... well, you know what I wouldn't have. I don't have to say it."

In the story, the selfish town people sent Lizzie(she is a black girl) to the asylum and she is there now.
    Turner is thinking of Lizzie and [imagined] imagining she is with him.
    I can't [fairly] quite understand the bolded part. Please help!!!
    Need more context, Frindle. But it must be something that Turner gave Lizzie, either something tangible or something intangible like love, good sex, warmth, friendship, a sense of worth, ... .

Quote Originally Posted by frindle View Post

Turner is thinking of Lizzie and imagined as if she were with him.
    I can't fairly understand the bolded part. Please help!!!

Well, Lizzie may not have to say it to Turner, but she sure needs to spell it out to me!

A woman I barely knew said to me one time, "My sister just got an offer for a better job in another city. Well! You can imagine how I feel about that."

But NO! She was wrong! I couldn't imagine how she felt. How could I?

I'd guess Lizzie is referring to something she did back in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post

Well, Lizzie may not have to say it to Turner, but she sure needs to spell it out to me!

A woman I barely knew said to me one time, "My sister just got an offer for a better job in another city. Well! You can imagine how I feel about that."

But NO! She was wrong! I couldn't imagine how she felt. How could I?
    That's the very nature of imagination, Ann. From your responses that I've seen to date, you've illustrated that you certainly can put your imagination to work.

I can well imagine a number of things that that woman could have felt.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    That's the very nature of imagination, Ann. From your responses that I've seen to date, you've illustrated that you certainly can put your imagination to work.

I can well imagine a number of things that that woman could have felt.
    Yes -- that was the problem. I could imagine a number of things she could have felt -- some of them contradictory.

What I couldn't derive from the mere use of the imagination is how SHE felt.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Surely she is responding to the question "What wouldn't you have if...?" In other words "What would you not possess if...?"
    What I wouldn't have... well, you know what I wouldn't have. I don't have to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Yes -- that was the problem. I could imagine a number of things she could have felt -- some of them contradictory.

What I couldn't derive from the mere use of the imagination is how SHE felt.
    I must be missing something. Again, that's the very nature of imagining, Ann. Of course you could have imagined contradictory ideas; the woman could easily have had contradictory feelings.

I doubt very much that the woman was expecting a nailed down treatise on her emotions. Such phrasing seeks commiseration, not dead on accuracy.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Smile Re: what I wouldn't have

In the story, Turner wanted her to have his house. (And Turner gave Lizzie friendship, too.)
    I suppose it must be the house.
    Thanks for all your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I must be missing something. Again, that's the very nature of imagining, Ann. Of course you could have imagined contradictory ideas; the woman could easily have had contradictory feelings.

I doubt very much that the woman was expecting a nailed down treatise on her emotions. Such phrasing seeks commiseration, not dead on accuracy.

I had no way of knowing if she needed commiseration or not.

In order for the conversation to continue, I needed to know -- at the very least -- if I was expected to say "How wonderful!" or "Too bad" or even "What a relief for you!"

I was reduced to a sort of "Ahhh...?"

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Surely she is responding to the question "What wouldn't you have if...?" In other words "What would you not possess if...?"
    What I wouldn't have... well, you know what I wouldn't have. I don't have to say it."
    Most astute!

I took it to mean "What I wouldn't have .... (some verb) -- what I wouldn't have done or said, or something similar.