1. millie8508

English help please

Does the following sentence make sense?

- The individual objectives for this project are vast in proportion. -

I want to write a preample/introduction for the objectives section of a proposal followed by a list of the objectives. I am not sure that sentence means the same thing as I think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Millie.

Re: English help please

Quote Originally Posted by millie8508 View Post
    Does the following sentence make sense?

- The individual objectives for this project are vast in proportion. -

I want to write a preample/introduction for the objectives section of a proposal followed by a list of the objectives. I am not sure that sentence means the same thing as I think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Millie.
    "Vast in proportion" may not be what you are aiming for here.

- In proportion to what? Do you mean "vast in scale?" or maybe "vast in scope"?

- Why do you call the objectives "vast" anyway?

Please post again and tell us in a couple of sentences about these objectives. What do you want to say about them besides the fact that they are amazingly huge in proportion to ____ (something).

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    "Vast in proportion" may not be what you are aiming for here.

- In proportion to what? Do you mean "vast in scale?" or maybe "vast in scope"?

- Why do you call the objectives "vast" anyway?

Please post again and tell us in a couple of sentences about these objectives. What do you want to say about them besides the fact that they are amazingly huge in proportion to ____ (something).

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Sorry english is not my first language. I have been struggling to write this section for a while now, not the objectives, just the Intro or Preample as they call it. Just can't think of the best way to introduce this section. So I thought I would start by saying something like .. The objectives for my project are big/much/a lot, below I have listed all the tasks involved to succesfully complete this project. And then list all the individual objectives for the project in bulletpoint format. I really don't know what else to say about them, any tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by millie8508 View Post
    Hi, thank you for the reply.

Sorry english is not my first language. I have been struggling to write this section for a while now, not the objectives, just the Intro or Preample as they call it. Just can't think of the best way to introduce this section. So I thought I would start by saying something like .. The objectives for my project are big/much/a lot, below I have listed all the tasks involved to succesfully complete this project. And then list all the individual objectives for the project in bulletpoint format. I really don't know what else to say about them, any tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Sure. Okay, I see what you want to say.

Will one of these work? If not, write back and tell is what kind of "function" you need the sentence to do: Long? short? explain a lot? just open a list?

I. Short sentences

- Neutral about how many objectives you have
    > The objectives for my project are:

- Stressing "I have a lot!"
    > There are a large number of objectives for my project. They are:

II. Longer sentences

- Neutral about how many objectives you have
    > The objectives for the successful completion of this project run all the way from (name the least ____* one) to (name the most ____* one.) Here is the list of those objectives in ______order: (? Alphabetical order? chronological order? Order of importance?):
    * Think of some important quality of the projects that is not the same as the "ordering principle" for your list, such as:
    - from (the least expensive one's) name to (the most expensive one's) name
    - (the most routine one's) name to (the most unusual one's) name
    - (the easiest one's) name to (the hardest one's) name
    - (the quickest one's) name to (the most protracted one's) name
    - Stressing "I have a lot!"
    > There are more than (cardinal number) objectives required for the successful completion of this project, ranging in length from (the shortest one taking up ___ amount of time or space) to (the longest one at ____ time or space measurement). Here is the complete list in ___________order: (? Alphabetical order? chronological order? order of importance?)

If you like, you can post a passage that's a little longer (if you have one already written), and we can offer you comments and feedback.

Best wishes on your project!
    ~ Ann