Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 17
    #1

    a question about like and unlike

    Which one is correct and what each one means:
    -I'm not good like you.
    -I'm not good unlike you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #2

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Hello, I am not a teacher,

    but I believe the first one is nice but the in the second sentence you use 'not' and after 'unlike' it's double negations for me.

    About the meaning these two phrases compare the skill between two persons.

    Hope it's help you.

  1. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #3

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, I am not a teacher,

    but I believe the first one is nice but the in the second sentence you use 'not' and after 'unlike' it's double negations for me.

    About the meaning these two phrases compare the skill between two persons.

    Hope it's help you.
    -I'm not good like you. (I am not good as you are)

    -I'm not good unlike you (not and unlike = double negatives; incorrect usage)

    This is better:
    -I'm good, unlike you (I am good which you are not)


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 17
    #4

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, I am not a teacher,

    but I believe the first one is nice but the in the second sentence you use 'not' and after 'unlike' it's double negations for me.

    About the meaning these two phrases compare the skill between two persons.

    Hope it's help you.
    Thanks for the reply.
    What I think is both sentences could have the same meaning
    but when I say, I'm not good like you. does this mean, me and you are not good or does it mean I'm not good as you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #5

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Thanks for your fast answer, it's what I thought.

    See you later.


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 17
    #6

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    -I'm not good like you. (I am not good as you are)

    -I'm not good unlike you (not and unlike = double negatives; incorrect usage)

    This is better:
    -I'm good, unlike you (I am good which you are not)
    Oh, thanks
    So the second one is wrong. But can use it in other ways:
    -Unlike you, I'm not good
    -Unlike you, I'm bad

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #7

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Hello Marybeth,

    about your quote it's easy. It is just one comparaison between two persons, maybe one make good think an the other is devil or perhaps both are good but one of them makes better stuff.

    Bye.

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #8

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Quote Originally Posted by Marybeth View Post
    Oh, thanks
    So the second one is wrong. But can use it in other ways:
    -Unlike you, I'm not good
    -Unlike you, I'm bad
    Those seem alright, though are not used frequently...

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #9

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Quote Originally Posted by Marybeth View Post
    Which one is correct and what each one means:
    -I'm not good like you.
    -I'm not good unlike you.

    I'm not good, unlike you. This is ok, with the comma.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #10

    Re: a question about like and unlike

    Hello teacher,

    You have write that with coma it's ok, does it mean, we have now two phrases?

    See you later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •