• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

The name of the action?

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know here the name of the action?

Before fixing the mould onto the tempering furnace, the workers in our factory spreads the powder of the marble chalk onto the top edge of the mould in order to prevent the round glass sheet in high temperature from stick to the edge of mould which is very, very hot.( The action is as follows: the workers move the marble chalk along the top edge of the mould with the other side of the marble chalk touching the edge by holding one side of the marble chalk. The marble chalk is about 15 cm long with the square cutting surface.)

(Attention: the shape of the mould is like that of bowl; The mould is placed onto the furnace with its big mouth up, when one of the mould moves in front of the workers, the workers put the round glass sheet onto the mould when "round head" from the clinder comes down and press onto the center of the glass sheet. Thus, glass dome shapes!)

Regards

Sky

Re: The name of the action?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Before fixing the mould onto the tempering furnace, the workers in our factory spreads the powder of the marble chalk onto the top edge of the mould in order to prevent the round glass sheet in high temperature from stick to the edge of mould which is very, very hot.( The action is as follows: the workers move the marble chalk along the top edge of the mould with the other side of the marble chalk touching the edge by holding one side of the marble chalk. The marble chalk is about 15 cm long with the square cutting surface.)

(Attention: the shape of the mould is like that of bowl; The mould is placed onto the furnace with its big mouth up, when one of the mould moves in front of the workers, the workers put the round glass sheet onto the mould when "round head" from the clinder comes down and press onto the center of the glass sheet. Thus, glass dome shapes!)

Regards

Sky
    I don't know the meaning of "marble" chalk.

The act of coating something with chalk is called "chalking,"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post

Please find in the following link:
    Marble Chalk Manufacturer, Buyer, Supplier, Importer, Exporter, Manufacturers, Buyers, Suppliers, Importers & Exporters - ECPlaza

But the purpose of using it here is to prevent the glass from adhering to the iron mould as it is kind of rock and has the characteristics of bearing high temperature!

Please find in the following link:
    Marble Chalk Manufacturer, Buyer, Supplier, Importer, Exporter, Manufacturers, Buyers, Suppliers, Importers & Exporters - ECPlaza

But the purpose of using it here is to prevent the glass from adhering to the iron mould as it is kind of rock and has the characteristics of bearing high temperature!
    I see.

If this marble chalk is being used as a flux, the action is called "fluxing."

But I think that maybe your question is a technical one, for experts in this field, not an English language question.

You are chalking the metal mold to prevent metal/glass bonding -- but I don't know how a metallurgist would say it!
    Last edited by Ann1977; 13-Oct-2009 at 07:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I think coating the top edge around with marble chalk would be better?

I think coating the top edge around with marble chalk would be better?
    "Coating" is good, but it's not the "top edge."

The workers coat the inside of a bowl-shaped mold with marble chalk to prevent the hot glass from fusing to the metal of the mold. They coat the inside of the bowl by rubbing it with a stick of marble chalk until it is entirely coated.

Then a sheet of glass is put on top of the mold, and a round-head press comes down from a cylinder and presses the hot glass into the mold.

"Top edge" is "the rim."
    http://www.electricrider.com/crystal...es/x-rim16.jpg

The top edge (rim) of this bowl is dark. The inside of this bowl is light.

Last edited by Ann1977; 13-Oct-2009 at 07:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hello Everyone,

Regards

Sky
    Insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Insulation?
    I think the function of the chalk is to provide a dusty coating that prevents the nearly-molten glass from adhering to the metal mold -- not by insulation, but by making a poor surface for adhesion -- like scotch tape with fluff on it.

The reason it is marble chalk is that this material can withstand the high temperatures without burning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I think the function of the chalk is to provide a dusty coating that prevents the nearly-molten glass from adhering to the metal mold -- not by insulation, but by making a poor surface for adhesion -- like scotch tape with fluff on it.

The reason it is marble chalk is that this material can withstand the high temperatures without burning.
    You are quite right. Not insulation, like insulation glass!