• Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

ground of organic creation

Hi

Women in aboriginal societies seem to have an unspoken
    understanding that in the nature of things, the masculine psyche is
    secondary to, or removed from, the ground of organic creation.
    They accept that the fragile male ego requires constant external
    reinforcement, and they instigate and support male ceremonies that
    shape the male psyche so that it may function positively in nature
    and society.

--- I'm not sure I understand the part in bold, especially "that in the nature of things .. the ground of organic creation"?

Actually I think that "in the nature of things" means that "it's normal".
    How about "ground of organic creation"? Is it possible to make it clearer?

Re: ground of organic creation

"in the nature of things" means "according to the way things just are"

"the ground of organic creation" means "the bringing forth of new life" -- in this case, not just babies, but probably crops too (or the author would have specified "new babies" I think)

Women in aboriginal societies seem to have an unspoken
    understanding that the way things work is -- the masculine psyche is
    secondary to, or removed from, creating new life.
    They accept that the fragile male ego requires constant external
    reinforcement, and they instigate and support male ceremonies that
    shape the male psyche so that it may function positively in nature
    and society.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

I think I get it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    I think I get it. Thanks!
    Any time!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

By the way, don't you think that this whole sentence: Women in aboriginal societies seem to have an unspoken understanding that the way things work is -- the masculine psyche is secondary to, or removed from, creating new life. is a little bit strange?

--- To me it says that men have a psyche and that this psyche plays very little role or doesn't play any role at all in creating new life. Well, that's just strange to me

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    By the way, don't you think that this whole sentence: Women in aboriginal societies seem to have an unspoken understanding that the way things work is -- the masculine psyche is secondary to, or removed from, creating new life. is a little bit strange?

--- To me it says that men have a psyche and that this psyche plays very little role or doesn't play any role at all in creating new life. Well, that's just strange to me
    I think the author is saying that men feel left out that they can't do anything useful.

Joseph Campbell said that the mythic archetype of the human mind is that "men prepare the field in which women bring forth the future."

Men have to do all that hunting and fighting, while women get to stay home beside a warm fire. And what do men get in return for all their danger and trouble and hardship? They get to be the coatholders and bystanders and onlookers in the great Purpose of Life -- preparing the way for the next generation. But women swagger around with nothing to prove, because they already know that they are in themselves -- just by existing -- what life is all about.

The author is saying that aboriginal women know that deep down men feel like sulking all day because they realize that are the second-rate component of our species -- nuisances likely to wake the baby at best, and at worst, entirely expendable in the event of Nazis or sharks or other enemies of babies.

So the author says that men's poor widdel psyches are all sad and weepy because they have little or nothing to do with the generation of new life. So women toss them a bone and pretend that their war dances and face paint are way impressive and scary, and my! what big muscles they have! and so on.

I could not agree less with this statement of the author's, and I think it is obnoxious not only for its meaning (obscured almost beyond recognition by a gluey writing style), but for the smarmy smirkiness of the author's attitude.

I respect and admire men, and I give them full credit for their work in inventing such things as the cotton gin and civilization.

And I'm pretty grateful for their work with the Nazi and shark issues as well. Without men, female-only Homo sapiens would still be digging in a heap of leaves to make our nests for the night.