Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 13
    #1

    Is this Text OK

    Nobody thought he would survive after he got typhoid when he was three except for a woman: "Wait and see what will become of him", she said. He is destined to acquire multiple identities which fluctuate from Kurdish to Arabic to English to German to French and Italian.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 4
    #2

    Re: Is this Text OK

    Quote Originally Posted by in-grid View Post
    Nobody thought he would survive after he got typhoid when he was three except for a woman: "Wait and see what will become of him", she said. He is destined to acquire multiple identities which fluctuate from Kurdish to Arabic to English to German to French and Italian.
    He is destined to acquire multiple identities which will fluctuate from Kurdish to Arabic to English to German to French and Italian

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: Is this Text OK

    Quote Originally Posted by in-grid View Post
    Nobody thought he would survive after he got typhoid when he was three except for a woman: "Wait and see what will become of him", she said. He is destined to acquire multiple identities which fluctuate from Kurdish to Arabic to English to German to French and Italian.
    Do you mean to put the "He is destined ... " in quotes too?
    Also I don't think "a woman" by itself sounds right. "No one but a woman thought he'd survive". Weird.
    No one but a woman who didn't even know him ...
    No one but a strange woman who passed his bedside ...
    No one but an old gypsy woman ...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 13
    #4

    Re: Is this Text OK

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Do you mean to put the "He is destined ... " in quotes too?
    Also I don't think "a woman" by itself sounds right. "No one but a woman thought he'd survive". Weird.
    No one but a woman who didn't even know him ...
    No one but a strange woman who passed his bedside ...
    No one but an old gypsy woman ...
    Do you think no one but a woman sounds better than: nobody....except for a woman

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: Is this Text OK

    Quote Originally Posted by in-grid View Post
    Do you think no one but a woman sounds better than: nobody....except for a woman
    Not necessarily. You could use either.

Similar Threads

  1. Please help check my essay
    By Fame in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2009, 07:18
  2. the problem of text and discourse
    By blizneTC in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2008, 19:41
  3. Advanced Text Analysis
    By kko1960 in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2008, 01:20
  4. Major confusion about a text...
    By Noego in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 19:43
  5. Please, could you correct mistakes in my English text?
    By George S in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-May-2006, 02:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •