1. superjames1992

Tricky Has/Had Question

I have a question about a sentence in part of my college application:

"Snowfall and cold weather in general HAS always been my favorite type of weather."

Should the HAS be has or had? I am thinking that has is correct, but I'd like some verification and I can't seem to find the answer online since the examples do not have compound sentences. Thank you! :)

Re: Tricky Has/Had Question

Quote Originally Posted by superjames1992 View Post

"Snowfall and cold weather in general HAS always been my favorite type of weather."

Should the HAS be has or had? I am thinking that has is correct, but I'd like some verification and I can't seem to find the answer online since the examples do not have compound sentences. Thank you! :)
    This is not a compound sentence. It is a simple sentence with a compound subject (two subjects -- "snowfall" and "weather" -- for the single verb.)

The choice is not between "has" and "had."

The choice is between "has" and "have."

"Had" is just plain wrong, so you can stop worrying about that.

The question is: Do you consider the subject of the sentence to be a plural: "They have always been my favorite type of weather."

In fact, the subject is plural ("Snowfall and cold weather have always been my favorite type of weather."), so you should use "have."

However, the sentence is not remarkable for its felicity:
    - It repeats the word "weather"
    - what is "cold weather in general"? Is it different from "cold weather"?
    - The plural subject is an uneasy match with "type"
    - It's a passive-sounding construction
    - What is "a type of weather"? Is it different from "weather"?

I think you should just rephrase the sentence to say:
    I love cold weather and snow.

If this is too stark, add a supporting detail or two:
    "One of the greatest gifts I ever got was my 48" Flexible Flyer."
    Amazon.com: Flexible Flyer 48" Flexible Flyer Sled: Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post

However, the sentence is not remarkable for its felicity:

- It's a passive-sounding construction

I think you should just rephrase the sentence to say:
    I love cold weather and snow.
    What is a "passive-sounding construction", Ann?

In any event, there's nothing wrong with using the passive. This is a perfect example where, although there is no passive, the focus is on the more important issue.

I love cold weather and snow doesn't say the same thing as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by superjames1992 View Post

Use "has" because this is true from a time in the past up until now. This refers to the present, not the past. This is still your favorite kind of weather.

I would rephrase the sentence. It's not exactly logical.

Snowfall - Snowfall is not a kind of weather.

and cold weather - It's redundant to say that "cold weather" is your favorite kind of weather. As well, I would say it simply sounds strange.

I feel that this is a better way to say what you mean.

I've always liked snowy, cold, winter weather the best.
    Last edited by PROESL; 14-Oct-2009 at 05:32.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post

I've always liked snowy, cold, winter weather the best.
    Yes, this is a good suggestion, except that cold, snowy AND winter may be too much. No one is going to assume that he likes cold, snowy summer weather.

How about, "I've always liked wintry weather. The cold and snow make me glad Harvard accepted my application. I gladly abandoned my gardens of oleander and peach blossoms to frolic in Boston's fabled weather, especially the weather in the slush outside the Coop. What to me are the childish days of surfing and shrimping, the empty nights made sleepless by the croaking of the nightingales and the stink of roses and jasmine? They are as nothing compared to the melody of the traffic stalled out on Mass Ave right near a large university."

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Yes, this is a good suggestion, except that cold, snowy AND winter may be too much. No one is going to assume that he likes cold, snowy summer weather.

How about, "I've always liked wintry weather. The cold and snow make me glad Harvard accepted my application. I gladly abandoned my gardens of oleander and peach blossoms to frolic in Boston's fabled weather, especially the weather in the slush outside the Coop. What to me are the childish days of surfing and shrimping, the empty nights made sleepless by the croaking of the nightingales and the stink of roses and jasmine? They are as nothing compared to the melody of the traffic stalled out on Mass Ave right near a large university."

I can see how "cold and snow" could be redundant" in the sentence I suggested, but I think this would go unnoticed in spoken language. I even think the student's original use of "snowfall" would go unnoticed in spoken language, but I thought a rephrasing was more practical just the same.

No one is going to assume that he likes cold, snowy summer weather.
    That type of summer day, or weather, would be possible after World War Three.

Interesting pictures, even if they are rather unsettling.

well, superjames' sentence does sound a bit strange but....
    also the simplest you all make that sentence the less academic it actually sound.

I have always say that being "simple" is the hardest thing to do, now being simplistic, that's just playing it safe right there.

Quote Originally Posted by loui View Post
    well, superjames' sentence does sound a bit strange but....
    also the simplest you all make that sentence the less academic it actually sound.

I have always say that being "simple" is the hardest thing to do, now being simplistic, that's just playing it safe right there.

My bad, now that I've tried to rephrase the sentence myself, I think you guys were actually right, LOL 'cause the only thing I could come up with was, "I've always liked cold weather" or "I've always preferred winter the most"

maybe there aren't really much alternatives for this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by loui View Post
    My bad, now that I've tried to rephrase the sentence myself, I think you guys were actually right, LOL 'cause the only thing I could come up with was, "I've always liked cold weather" or "I've always preferred winter the most"

maybe there aren't really much alternatives for this sentence.
    Right. There is no apparent content, so the motive for even wanting to say it in the first place is something I'm curious about.

The elaborations on the sentence are disguises for the starkness of the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    That type of summer day, or weather, would be possible after World War Three.

Interesting pictures, even if they are rather unsettling.
    Well, maybe we could trigger a nuclear winter to offset global warming.

They could sort of battle it out -- like the events in your stomach following a meal of tacos and samosas.