• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

too far gone/part or parcel/befuddle/slacks/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Looks like she would be in her guard, knowing she’s associating ith a newlyrich, but she’s too far gone now to listen to reason.

is too far gone = has lost the ability to think clearly

“Let him be!” she said coldly. “I don’t want part or parcel of him.”

part or parcel = an essential or basic element; with part meaning "a portion" and parcel "something integral with a whole,"
    I don’t want part or parcel of him. = I don’t want to have anything to do with him.

He’s befuddling Miss Wilson, the schoolteacher who boards at my house, into going away hith him.

befuddling Miss Wilson..into going away = fooling Miss Wilson into going away

to befuddle = to cause a state of confusion; cause to be unable to think clearlyfudle; confuse

The mind was weaker than the eye, he said, glancing uo at Blanchard.

the mind was weaker than the eye = Waldo wants to say that he was impressed by her good looks and was unable to think clearly

“No” said Macomber, “I suppose that I rate that for the rest of my life now.”

I suppose that I rate that for the rest of my life. = I shall be considered that sort of man for the rst of my life.
    to rate = to class

He smiled at her now and she looked away from his face at the way his shoulders sloped in the loose tunic he wore with the four big cartridges held in loops where the left breast pocket should have been, at his big brown hnds, his old slacks, his very dirty boots and bck to his red face again.

slacks = pants for casual wear; trousers worn for sports or resting

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: too far gone/part or parcel/befuddle/slacks/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    Looks like she would be in her guard, knowing she’s associating with a newly rich, but she’s too far gone now to listen to reason.

is too far gone = has lost the ability to think clearly OK

“Let him be!” she said coldly. “I don’t want part or parcel of him.”

part or parcel = an essential or basic element; (I think, it is part and parcel)with part meaning "a portion" and parcel "something integral with a whole,"=if something is part and parcel of an experience, it is a necessary part of that experience which cannot be avoided=an essential, necessary, or integral part
    I don’t want to be part or parcel of him. = I don’t want to have anything to do with him. Connecting with some person is not an appropriate use.
    Encroaching upon privacy is part and parcel of a celebrity.
    Traveling is part and parcel of his job
    Computer has become a part and parcel of our daily life.
    He’s befuddling Miss Wilson, the schoolteacher who boards at my house, into going away with him.

befuddling Miss Wilson..into going away = fooling Miss Wilson into going away

to befuddle = to cause a state of confusion; cause to be unable to think clearlyfudle; confuse=imply temporary interference with the clear working of one's mind.

The mind was weaker than the eye, he said, glancing uo at Blanchard
    the mind was weaker than the eye = Waldo wants to say that he was impressed by her good looks and was unable to think clearly This is because:
    Our Mind is most powerful in the body. It directs the five sensory organs, eyes(vision), year(hearing), nose(smell), tongue(taste), skin(touch) to carry out their functions which are different from each other. For example, The sense of touch has pain, cold, heat, and so forth which are fed to brain through the mind. If mind is weaker than the sense of touch we will not have the right feeling of pain/cold/heat. This is true of all other organs. So if vision is stringer than mind it overtakes the mind leading to loss of thinking power.

“No” said Macomber, “I suppose that I rate that for the rest of my life now.”

I suppose that I rate that for the rest of my life. = I shall be considered that sort of man for the rest of my life.
    to rate = to class=to judge the value or character of someone or something

He smiled at her now and she looked away from his face at the way his shoulders sloped in the loose tunic he wore with the four big cartridges held in loops where the left breast pocket should have been, at his big brown hnds, his old slacks, his very dirty boots and bck to his red face again.

slacks = pants for casual wear; trousers worn for sports or resting

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    SKP
    Last edited by sarat_106; 15-Oct-2009 at 11:59.