Excommunicate/Cursed

Dear teachers,
    Could you help with finding the proper word?
    I have a sentence:
    Then he immediately lost his position and was excommunicated/cursed (I mean that they did't want him in their organization any more), although, as he claimed, his adventure with the complaint he had written 2 years earlier had already been the beginning of his end.
    Is it correct in any way?

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Re: Excommunicate/Cursed

Quote Originally Posted by cat's_eyes View Post
    Dear teachers,
    Could you help with finding the proper word?
    I have a sentence:
    Then he immediately lost his position and was excommunicated/cursed (I mean that they did't want him in their organization any more), although, as he claimed, his adventure with the complaint he had written 2 years earlier had already been the beginning of his end.
    Is it correct in any way?

Thank you in advance for your opinion.
    Yes, this is fine.

Being kicked out of some organizations entails specific vocabulary.
    Lawyers are disbarred, for example, and clergymen are defrocked. Jehovah's Witnesses are disfellowshipped. If there is a specific word already in use for this organization, I think it might be better to use it -- unless you are going for a particular "effect" (such as comedy.)

But "excommunicated" can certainly be used in this context as an analogous event -- to be cut off from the blessings and benefits that flow from the organization. It carries almost a joking tone, I think, since it seems like a bit of an hyperbole.

The sentence says he had "an adventure with the complaint." That's okay if it's what you mean. It's not okay if you mean that his adventure started when he wrote the complaint.

One thing you might consider is to break this rather complicated sentence into two straightforward short ones.