• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

sunny-haired/backhanded compliment/backhand/pump in the bullet/on the dodge

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Her blueblack hair, smoothly divided in the middle and bound close to her head, and her large eyes full of the Latin melancholy, gave her the Madona touch.

gave her the Madona touch = made her look like Madona

While the sunny-haired ornithologist was pursuing his studies the Cisco Kid was also attending to his professional duties.

the sunny-haired ornithologist = the red-haired ornithologist

“I’ll get him easy enough”, said the lieutenant. “The girl’s got him trapped. And don’t even think he’ll get the drop on me.”

To get the drop on somebody = to take somebody unawares by pointing a gun at a person

Not bad for a girl" the coach said, offering a backhanded compliment.

backhanded compliment = a remark that sounds like a compliment but is said sarcastically.

It is much more difficult to volley a high lob backhanded than forehanded.

backhanded = (of racket strokes) made across the body with back of hand facing direction of stroke

forehanded = (of racket strokes) made with palm facing direction of stroke

He hit him backhand across the face.

He cut down the running man with a powerful backhand.

backhand (a) = with the back of the hand

There was a quick turn of the figure, but no movement to obey, so th ranger pumped in the bullets-one-two, three-and then, twice more.

pump in = load

But I would like to place myself on record as asserting that I do not care for his company.

to place myself on record = to let it be known; an expression used at conferences or sessions which means “want my words to be recorded”

I have been on the dodge for a month.

to be on the dodge = go into hiding; make default

He has a good dodge for remembering dates.

dodge = method

He's up to all the dodges.

There is a dodge for catching birds.

dodge = snare

He dodged military service.

dodge = shirk, evade

He dodged behind /round/ a tree.

dodge = conceal, screen

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: sunny-haired/backhanded compliment/backhand/pump in the bullet/on the dodge

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    Her blueblack hair, smoothly divided in the middle and bound close to her head, and her large eyes full of the Latin melancholy, gave her the Madona touch.

gave her the Madona touch = made her look like Madona

While the sunny-haired ornithologist was pursuing his studies the Cisco Kid was also attending to his professional duties.

the sunny-haired ornithologist = the red-haired ornithologist

“I’ll get him easy enough”, said the lieutenant. “The girl’s got him trapped. And don’t even think he’ll get the drop on me.”

To get the drop on somebody = to take somebody unawares by pointing a gun at a person, This is new to me, even Google search does not provide any clue.

Not bad for a girl" the coach said, offering a backhanded compliment.

backhanded compliment = a remark that sounds like a compliment but is said sarcastically=an insult disguised as a compliment.

It is much more difficult to volley a high lob backhanded than forehanded.

backhanded = (of racket strokes) made across the body with back of hand facing direction of strokeTennis. a ball hit in a high arc to the back of the opponent's court.=a return made with the back of the hand facing the direction of the stroke

First points to Federer as Roddick hits a straightforward backhand into the net

forehanded = (of racket strokes) made with palm facing direction of stroke Ok

He hit him backhand across the face.= slap on the face made with the palm of the hand turned toward the body and back of the hand hitting the face

He cut down the running man with a powerful backhand.

backhand (a) = with the back of the hand Ok

There was a quick turn of the figure, but no movement to obey, so th ranger pumped in the bullets-one-two, three-and then, twice more.

pump in = load I think it shoild be pumped the bullets into something or someone body.

But I would like to place myself on record as asserting that I do not care for his company.

to place myself on record = to let it be known; an expression used at conferences or sessions which means “want my words to be recorded” OK

I would like to place on record my profound thanks and sincere gratitude to my revered advisor who provided me with constructive guidance that induced me to undertake this project. .

I have been on the dodge for a month.

to be on the dodge = go into hiding; make default

He has a good dodge for remembering dates.

dodge = method I was looking for different and appropriate meaning of this word and came across; Yankee dodge = American trick So the word has a very flexible use that has been proved by the subsequent examples.

He's up to all the dodges.

There is a dodge for catching birds.

dodge = snare

He dodged military service.

dodge = shirk, evade

He dodged behind /round/ a tree.

dodge = conceal, screen

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Very interesting.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 18-Oct-2009 at 15:36.