• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

eating a ravenous tea/for me the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and slic

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

And, back in the Halliday’s sitting room, eating a ravenous tea, he felt much like a amn recovered from fever.

eating a ravenous tea = devouring tea with a ravenous appetite (transferred epithet)

For Ashurst the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and slick and swift, but though he seemed sunk in sleep when his companion came up, he was really wide awake.

for Ashurst the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and slick and swift = usually Ashurst fell asleep easily and quickly

wont to = accustomed to do something, e/g, He was wont to rise early.

The old fellow stopped; in his face had come a look as though he were thinking: “You have come to the right shop, mister!.”

you have come to the right shop = you have addressed the right person, who can give all the information you need
    usually “to come to the wrong shop” = to address or apply to the wrong person

Twas in the spring,’bout now as’t might be, or a little later-blossom time-an ‘we ‘ad one o’they young college gentlemen stayin’ at the farm-nice feller tu, with’is ‘ead in the air.

nice feller tu, with ‘is ‘ead in the air = a nice fellow too, with his head in the air
    His head in the air = “in the clouds” – of a dreamy disposition

He wondered what devil had inspired him to take up the art of healing.

to take up the art of healing = to become a doctor
    art = craft

“I mean it.” the doctor said. “You’ve had it, that’s that.”

you have had it = it can't be helped = nothing can be done about it

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 24-Oct-2009 at 16:52.

Re: eating a ravenous tea/for me the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

And, back in the Halliday’s sitting room, eating a ravenous tea, he felt much like a amn recovered from fever.

eating a ravenous tea = devouring tea with a ravenous appetite (transferred epithet)

For Ashurst the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and slick and swift, but though he seemed sunk in sleep when his companion came up, he was really wide awake.

for Ashurst the wheel of slumber was wont to turn noiseless and slick and swift = usually Ashurst fell asleep easily and quickly Usually Ashurst slept without disturbance

wont to = accustomed to do something, e/g, He was wont to rise early.

The old fellow stopped; in his face had come a look as though he were thinking: “You have come to the right shop, mister!.”

you have come to the right shop = you have addressed the right person, who can give all the information you need
    usually “to come to the wrong shop” = to address or apply to the wrong person

Twas in the spring,’bout now as’t might be, or a little later-blossom time-an ‘we ‘ad one o’they young college gentlemen stayin’ at the farm-nice feller tu, with’is ‘ead in the air.

nice feller tu, with ‘is ‘ead in the air = a nice fellow too, with his head in the air
    His head in the air = “in the clouds” – of a dreamy disposition

He wondered what devil had inspired him to take up the art of healing.

to take up the art of healing = to become a doctor
    art = craft

“I mean it.” the doctor said. “You’ve had it, that’s that.”

you have had it = it can't be helped = nothing can be done about it >> You are about to die [from what context there is]

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.