Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #1

    I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    I often use "I forgot that you are..." as with many other native speakers of English. I don't know how to explain but I know it's correct in many contexts. Could someone explain explicitly why a past action "forgot" can go with a present "are" just like in an Indirect Speech? Thanks.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    #2

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    I often use "I forgot that you are..." as with many other native speakers of English. I don't know how to explain but I know it's correct in many contexts. Could someone explain explicitly why a past action "forgot" can go with a present "are" just like in an Indirect Speech? Thanks.
    You probably think this way, Lycen, because you were taught that there is such a thing as Concord of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses in English. There is NOT!

    We use the tense we want and need to say what we want and what we need to say.

    It wouldn't be what you want to use "I forget" in this situation because that can denote that this is an habitual/routine thing, which is obviously what you don't want to say.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #3

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    You probably think this way, Lycen, because you were taught that there is such a thing as Concord of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses in English. There is NOT!
    Nope, I wasn't taught the agreement of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses in English. Thanks for enlightening me.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    #4

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    Nope, I wasn't taught the agreement of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses in English. Thanks for enlightening me.
    You're welcome, Lycen.

    If you've never been exposed to/taught Concord of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses, might I ask why you would think it odd that tenses can/could be mixed?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #5

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    You probably think this way, Lycen, because you were taught that there is such a thing as Concord of Tenses/Sequence of Tenses in English. There is NOT!
    There most certainly is, and the logic in which it is grounded is laid out in full in the thread Re: past and present tenses - which one is this?






    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    #6

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #7

    Re: I forgot that you (present/past tense)

    I'm glad that you apparently find it amusing!

    EOC

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Present tense form, the past tense form and the past participle
    By foggyfield in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2009, 04:13
  2. [Grammar] Perfect tense, continuous tense, perfect continuous
    By foggyfield in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2009, 14:00
  3. IF
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2004, 01:49
  4. Present/Past tense
    By Ryan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2003, 15:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •