• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

potential breakthroughs = potential factors

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Good European governance is also based upon Foresight and Forward looking exercises: analysis of societal trends in the world and in the Union, setting-up of reference and alternative scenarios, identification of potential breakthroughs are all elements that allow decision-makers to highlight their choices under a new perspective.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: potential breakthroughs = potential factors

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Good European governance is also based upon Foresight and Forward looking exercises: analysis of societal trends in the world and in the Union, setting-up of reference and alternative scenarios, identification of potential breakthroughs are all elements that allow decision-makers to highlight their choices under a new perspective.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V
    Generally "breakthrough" never equals a "factor". however in the sentence quoted above it seems that "breakthroughs" mean "factors"...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

A breakthrough is something that enables people to take a great step forwards or to make progress when things have be stalled, so I'd say it's more than a factor- it's the policy, law, decision, creation of an institution, etc, that makes a big difference.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: potential breakthroughs = potential factors

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    A breakthrough is something that enables people to take a great step forwards or to make progress when things have be stalled, so I'd say it's more than a factor- it's the policy, law, decision, creation of an institution, etc, that makes a big difference.
    I agree with Tdol. It is a dynamic combination of two words having deep meaning. Potential means that which is possible (when the necessary conditions exist or created). Breakthrough meansan act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction. Here are two recent headlines which carry a lot significance for every body.
    1. Thursday's meeting in Geneva between Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council is seen as potential breakthrough in peaceful co-existence and nuclear disarmament
    2. Potential Breakthrough in Cancer Treatment The potential applications of IsoFlow are exciting. We are looking forward to seeing how physicians will leverage this breakthrough catheter medical device into practice and the impact that it will surely make on the prognosis of so many patients."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Dear teachers,

Thank you for your cultivated and well-meaning explanation.

Here are a few additional words supporting my “frivolous” interpretation of the expression in question.

potential breakthroughs = wild-cards = potential factors

wild-card= an unpredictable or unforeseeable factor: A surprise witness proved to be the wild card at the trial.

wild-card= an unpredictable factor, wild-cards = high-impact events

potential = capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem, a potential factor, a potential event, an potential act

breakthrough = an act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction; a major achievement or success that permits further progress, as in technology
    By the way, in my humble opinion, the following sentence in a very plausible reading of the original one in the sarat106’s post above.

Thursday's meeting in Geneva between Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council is seen as potential factor in peaceful co-existence and nuclear disarmament

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 17-Oct-2009 at 14:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: potential breakthroughs = potential factors

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Thank you for your cultivated and well-meaning explanation.

Here are a few additional words supporting my “frivolous” interpretation of the expression in question.

potential breakthroughs = wild-cards = potential factors

wild-card= an unpredictable or unforeseeable factor: A surprise witness proved to be the wild card at the trial.

wild-card= an unpredictable factor, wild-cards = high-impact events

potential = capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem, a potential factor, a potential event, an potential act

breakthrough = an act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction; a major achievement or success that permits further progress, as in technology
    By the way, in my humble opinion, the following sentence in a very plausible reading of the original one in the sarat106’s post above.

Thursday's meeting in Geneva between Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council is seen as potential factor in peaceful co-existence and nuclear disarmament

Regards,

V.
    Breakthrough is noun derived from the phrasal verb break through which means: to succeed in dealing with a problem or difficult situation . Please note break is an action verb. So a breakthrough always denotes(a result of action) either a new discovery, a great success or a significant solution to a difficult problem. To some up, it is an achievement which can be due several factors. For example; why Geneva talk is seen as a major breakthrough because there are several factors behind it. The most important one being; Iran’s willingness to allow its nuclear installations for inspection by International agency. Secondly, it has agreed to ship its huge pile of Uranium to Russia and France for processing into fuel for small atomic reactor. So breakthrough is not synonym factor.

As regards wild cat, its meaning and use is different from breakthrough.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 18-Oct-2009 at 07:54.