Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #1

    In accordance with vs According to

    The Egyptian authorities agreed to restrict the Palestinian pilgrims' re-entry after a meeting with Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak, --------------- Israeli officials quoted by the Associated Press news agency.

    A) in accordance with
    B) according to


    I think A and B have the same meaning, but why is the key A?


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    #2

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    The Egyptian authorities agreed to restrict the Palestinian pilgrims' re-entry after a meeting with Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak, --------------- Israeli officials quoted by the Associated Press news agency.

    A) in accordance with
    B) according to


    I think A and B have the same meaning, but why is the key A?
    1) They don't have the same meaning.
    2) The correct choice is B.

    "In accordance with" is used to express compliance with authority or regulations. It means "in conformity with" or "in compliance with"

    "I filled out the form in accordance with the directions."
    - What the directions tell me to do

    "In accordance with your syllabus, I am hereby submitting a Withdraw request before September 30."
    - How the syllabus instructs me to proceed

    "The Palestinian pilgrims did not re-enter, in accordance with the requirements of the military authorities."
    - What the authorities have ordered


    "According to" is used to attribute words to someone. It means "the words that someone has spoken or written."

    "According to this syllabus, I have until September 30 to withdraw."
    - What the syllabus says

    "I am supposed to use blue or black ink on this form, according to the directions."
    - Quoting the words of the directions

    "According to the military authorities, the Palestinian pilgrims did not re-enter."
    - Quoting the military spokesman

    "According to the military spokesman (what the man said), the pilgrims would not be allowed to re-enter, in accordance with the regulations (in compliance with the rules.)
    Last edited by Ann1977; 16-Oct-2009 at 19:13.

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #3

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    I think the Key is faulty. Not even a single answer stated in the Key is correct, it invariably provides the incorrect option as the answer...


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    #4

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    I think the Key is faulty. Not even a single answer stated in the Key is correct, it invariably provides the incorrect option as the answer...
    Right.

    Even assuming that he is posting only the ones he can't make sense of (because they're wrong), a key used for a mismatched answer set would be right sometimes just by coincidence, and other times Volcano would be able to talk himself into believing the wrong answer.

  3. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #5

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Right.

    Even assuming that he is posting only the ones he can't make sense of (because they're wrong), a key used for a mismatched answer set would be right sometimes just by coincidence, and other times Volcano would be able to talk himself into believing the wrong answer.
    Thats precisely what I wanted to convey...

    I have witnessed the danger of reading sub standard books, you engrave inappropriate theories and wrong expressions and after some time it becomes very difficult to erase them. The incorrect usage becomes a part of subconcious mind.

    This is very common in Indian students/people from rural background (who had their initial education in villages or rural areas) where they do not have access to good and standard books because of their cost etc. In india, English is a part of the school syllabus, thus everybody learns English, but the big question is what is the quality of english and through which books??
    Last edited by anupumh; 16-Oct-2009 at 23:45.


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,131
    #6

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Thats precisely what I wanted to convey...

    I have witnessed the danger of reading sub standard books, you engrave inappropriate theories and wrong expressions and after some time it becomes very difficult to erase them. The incorrect usage becomes a part of subconcious mind.

    This is very common in Indian students/people from rural background (who had their initial education in villages or rural areas) where they do not have access to good and standard books because of their cost etc. In india, English is a part of the school syllabus, thus everybody learns English, but the big question which quality of english and through which books??
    Yes, I see.

  4. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #7

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    I did answer B for this question

  5. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #8

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    I did answer B for this question
    But your Key says A...
    You might be correct, but seems your Answer Key is always wrong..

  6. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #9

    Re: In accordance with vs According to

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    But your Key says A...
    You might be correct, but seems your Answer Key is always wrong..
    Yes, it seems so.Do you know any good resource on internet? Tests like these questions...

Similar Threads

  1. in accordance with
    By lauraguan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2009, 03:17
  2. privacy
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-May-2009, 08:44
  3. "īn accordance with" vs "īn line with" ?
    By Tom W. in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2009, 03:11
  4. What's difference between accord and accordance?
    By imhic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2008, 09:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •