• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

what does "bums and clods" mean?

I am reading Suzanne Britt's "Neat People vs. Sloppy People". I don't understand the meaning of "bums and clods"? Is this a idiom? I checked Merriam-Webster online dictionary, it says bum means buttock, clod is a lump or mass. So what is the meaning of "bums and clods"?

Below is where bums and clods come from.

Neat people
    are bums and clods at heart. They have cavalier attitudes toward possessions, including family heirlooms. Everything is just another dust-catcher to them. If anything collects dust, itís got to go and thatís that. Neat people will toy with the idea of throwing the children out of the house just to cut down on the clutter.
    Neat people donít care about process. They like results. What they want to do is get the whole thing over with so they can sit down and watch the rassliní on TV. Neat people operate on two unvarying principles: Never handle any item twice, and throw everything away.

Thanks

Watermark

Re: what does "bums and clods" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by watermark View Post
    I am reading Suzanne Britt's "Neat People vs. Sloppy People". I don't understand the meaning of "bums and clods"? Is this a idiom? I checked Merriam-Webster online dictionary, it says bum means buttock, clod is a lump or mass. So what is the meaning of "bums and clods"?

Neat people
    are bums and clods at heart. They have cavalier attitudes toward possessions, including family heirlooms. Everything is just another dust-catcher to them. If anything collects dust, it’s got to go and that’s that. Neat people will toy with the idea of throwing the children out of the house just to cut down on the clutter.
    Neat people don’t care about process. They like results. What they want to do is get the whole thing over with so they can sit down and watch the rasslin’ on TV. Neat people operate on two unvarying principles: Never handle any item twice, and throw everything away.

Thanks

Watermark
    The "bums" part comes out of this cluster of meanings:
    1. A tramp; a vagrant.
    2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
    3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
    4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

The author means a no-good-nic, a wrong-un, a bad guy --close to definition 3.
    ---------------------------

"Clod" is used here in its meaning of "an insensitive, dull, doltish person."

Compare "clod" to
    "You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things!"
    ~ Julius Caesar

[B]I am reading Suzanne Britt's "Neat People vs. Sloppy People". I don't understand the meaning of "bums and clods"? Is this a idiom? I checked Merriam-Webster online dictionary, it says bum means buttock, clod is a lump or mass. So what is the meaning of "bums and clods"?

Watermark
    M-W has 8 listings for 'bum', WM. Try checking #4, noun.

For 'clod' there are two,

===========

M-W

1 a : a lump or mass especially of earth or clay b : soil, earth
    2 : oaf, dolt

==============

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

So as I understand it, bums and clods here means sluggish and insenstive kind of people.

Thank you Ann1997!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Ar, I should have looked at the dictionary more carefully.Thank you Albeit!

So as I understand it, bums and clods here means sluggish and insenstive kind of people.

Thank you Ann1997!
    Maybe not "sluggish," but insensitive -- lacking poetry in their souls!

And wrong-headed but headstrong! The bums!

There are many characteristics associated with the words bums and clods, Watermark. The one that applies in your case relates to their lack of personal hygiene, their careless nature with possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    There are many characteristics associated with the words bums and clods, Watermark. The one that applies in your case relates to their lack of personal hygiene, their careless nature with possessions.
    This is a misreading.

Neat people are bums and clods at heart. They have cavalier attitudes toward possessions, including family heirlooms.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I like your explanation of bums and clods. "lack of poetry in soul" and "wrong-headed but headstrong" are such accurate and vivid characteristics of neat people. Now I got the mean of it. Thank you Ann1997!