Red face Segment?? what does this mean?

in the course im doing i have been asked the following:

Segment the meaning of each of the following words into its component parts and write at least 3 definitions for each word. Remember to use language that is less complex than the word itself.

a calf

a lake

a pond

a factory

now i am not asking you to do this for me only to explane the meaning of the sentence to me, what am i meant t do here and perhps a little example if thats not too much.
    Last edited by tonyheaney; 17-Oct-2009 at 02:09. Reason: bullit points

Re: Segment?? what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyheaney View Post
    in the course im doing i have been asked the following:

Segment the meaning of each of the following words into its component parts and write at least 3 definitions for each word. Remember to use language that is less complex than the word itself.

a calf

a lake

a pond

a factory

now i am not asking you to do this for me only to explane the meaning of the sentence to me, what am i meant t do here and perhps a little example if thats not too much.
    Beats me, Tony, unless they want you to put each word into dictionary meanings and write simple, easy to understand definitions.

example

calf

1 noun a baby cow/elk/moose/caribou

2, verb when a piece of ice breaks off a glacier.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Segment?? what does this mean?

It's very weird phrasing. You can add the muscle at the back of the leg for the third definition, but the others are more difficult. Does 'pond' really have that many meanings? Do they want lake meaning a pigment? I am also not sure what sort of language is less complex than lake. Could this be a printing mistake? The question is a mess IMO.

Question Re: Segment?? what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It's very weird phrasing. You can add the muscle at the back of the leg for the third definition, but the others are more difficult. Does 'pond' really have that many meanings? Do they want lake meaning a pigment? I am also not sure what sort of language is less complex than lake. Could this be a printing mistake? The question is a mess IMO.
    ya most of the i-to-i questions are like this and they want to to teach English using Greek alphabet also. i thought i wasn't meant to confuse them, i have worked in the field and I KNOW this question would confuse even the best of students.