1. Dawson69

English Quotation Significance.

I have been assigned to read a novel concerning a World Issue and to select ten quotes, and explain their significance. The novel that I chose was "9-11" by Noam Chomsky. Here is an example of one quote that I chose.

"During the past several hundred years the U.S. annihilated the indigenous population, conquered half of Mexico, intervened violently in the surrounding region, conquered Hawaii and the Philippines (killing hundreds and thousands of Filipinos) and, in the past half century particularly, extended its force throughout much of the world. The number of victims is colossal. For the first time the guns have been directed the other way. That is a drastic change" (Chomsky 12)

Through these historical facts Chomsky intends to prove that violent interventions operated by the U.S. government result in condemning the attacked countries to immense violence which eventually leads to several catastrophes including: economic declination, unstable political organization, the unjustified death of innocent civilians, and the loss of multifarious natural resources. The number of civilians killed by U.S. soldiers during U.S interventions greatly exceeds the number of casualties the terrorists in Afghanistan took in the 9-11 bombing. The U.S. leaves invaded areas in disarray and poverty, or completely deteriorate all forms of culture and replace it with their own. In order to maintain control over land the U.S. use acts of terrorism to deprive Mexicans, Hawaiians, and Filipinos of their land for the United States own use.

Any suggestions on how to relate this paragraph closer to the quotation above?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Quotation Significance.

Jeeze! Makes me [even more] happy to have moved to Canada!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Quotation Significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson69 View Post
    I have been assigned to read a novel concerning a World Issue and to select ten quotes, and explain their significance. The novel that I chose was "9-11" by Noam Chomsky. Here is an example of one quote that I chose.

Any suggestions on how to relate this paragraph closer to the quotation above?
    I don't think this book is a novel. Is that likely to be a problem?
    No doubt there will be fiction in it, given that it's by Chomsky, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be documentary.