• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question Use of 'Me'

as i learned in grammar books we can't use 'me' instead of 'i', e.g, someone asks "who has done that?" Another replies "Me" is it correct grammatically? as it's widely used in UK. I also request to point out my mistakes in what i am writing here, e.g, use of question mark in the second line should be outside the comma or inside. Thanks.

Re: Use of 'Me'

as i learned in grammar books
    > The personal pronoun "I" is always upper case
    > Begin the sentence with a capital letter
    > Comma at the end of the clause
    > "According to" is better than "as"
    According to what I learned in grammar books,

we can't use 'me' instead of 'i', e.g, someone asks "who has done that?"
    > upper case "I"
    > "for example, as the answer to" instead of eg
    > Start the quote with an upper case letter
    we can't use "me" instead of "I" (for example, as the answer to "Who has done that?")

Another replies "Me" is it correct grammatically
    Is it grammatically correct to reply "Me"?

as it's widely used in UK.
    It's widely used in the UK.

I also request to point out my mistakes in what i am writing here
    I'd also like to ask everyione to point out my mistakes in what I am writing here.

, e.g, use of question mark in the second line should be outside the comma or inside.
    For example, should the question mark in the second line be inside or outside the quotation marks?

Using "me" to answer that question (or "Who is it?" and so on) is widely used in the US too. I think it's silly to bother calling it wrong. It's too late now for that.

You placed the question mark correctly. Because the item you were quoting was a question itself, it has its own question mark as part of its sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question Re: Use of 'Me'

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    as i learned in grammar books

1.For example, should the question mark in the second line be inside or outside the quotation marks?

Please clarify it in context with reference to my another post for using 'Should' instead of 'If', I am copying here the post for convenience, it is:
    "We use 'should' in start of formal writings in place of 'if', can some one explain with reference to grammar. for example: " Should you have the relevant business experience and are looking for an opportunity to work for a market leading company please call Chris to find out more". If we can use 'should' in place of 'if' so what will we use if we need to ask some question starting with 'should' as normal. Thanks."

The difference looking to me is the use of 'be' in your sentence, which can show it's a question.

2.Using "me" to answer that question (or "Who is it?" and so on) is widely used in the US too. I think it's silly to bother calling it wrong. It's too late now for that.
    Could you please explain it with reference to the standard grammar, is it grammatically correct or incorrect to use 'me' instead of 'I'.

Thanks for the correction in all my writings, and again I would welcome such corrections. Thanks again for your time.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello hznaeem

I agree with Anne here:

A: Who has done that?
    B: I have (done that).
    B: I did.
    B: (It was) Me.

As I learned in grammar books, we can't use 'me' instead of 'I'; e.g., someone asks, "Who has done that?", another replies, "Me". Is it grammatically correct? It's widely used in the UK.

I also request (that) you point out my mistakes in what I am writing here; e.g., my use of a question mark in the second line. Should it be outside the comma or inside?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hznaeem View Post
    Could you please explain it with reference to the standard grammar, is it grammatically correct or incorrect to use 'me' instead of 'I'.

Thanks for the correction in all my writings, and again I would welcome such corrections. Thanks again for your time.

I don't like to contradict Soup, but "It is I" is grammatically correct.

"It is me" is grammatically incorrect, and (presuming that this is what the answer "Me" means), saying "Me" as the answer to "Who is it?" is incorrect.

"Who did this?"
    "I did it. I. It was I." < -- correct
    "Me. It was me." <--- incorrect technically, but too late now!

"Who is it?"
    "It is I." < -- correct but ridiculous (unless you're a butler in a play)
    "Me." <--- technically wrong, but that's what we say.

"Who killed Cock Robin?"
    "I," said the Sparrow,

"with my bow and arrow."

~ English nursery rhyme

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I and me... Both are pronouns but belong to different category..

I is a subjective pronoun (can be used as the subject in a sentence)

Me is an objective pronoun (can be used as the object in a sentence, never used as subject)

John (subject) and I (subject) did the project work.

Dad (Subject) loves me (Object) and my sister (Object).

However in the sentence..

Who is there?

"Its me" is the standard answer and is widely accepted now though "Its I" would be grammatically accurate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Check these wonderful links which even includes a very good ppt on how to avoid confusion between the usage of I and Me...

Hope this helps you all

jc-schools.net/write/ppt/I-me.ppt (copy and paste this link in the adress bar of your browser and hit enter)

Pronouns: Pronoun Case - The OWL at Purdue

AskOxford: I or me?

English Pronouns "I vs. Me" - English Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    I and me... Both are pronouns but belong to different category..

I is a subjective pronoun (can be used as the subject in a sentence)

Me is an objective pronoun (can be used as the object in a sentence, never used as object)

John (subject) and I (subject) did the project work.

Dad (Subject) loves me (Object) and my sister (Object).

However in the sentence..

Who is there?

"Its me" is the standard answer and is widely accepted now though "Its I" would be grammatically accurate.

Correct. And the reason for this apparent exception is that "to be" is a linking verb. That is, it establishes an identity between the subject and the "object" of the verb.

"It bit me" makes a clear distinction between the doer of the act ("it") compared to the object of the act ("me").

But "It is I" clearly states that the subject ('it') is the same identical being as the "object" ("I"). When that is the circumstance, the case of the pronoun carries through, so what seems to be the object of the verb is actually the "complement" of the subject.

linking words, linking verbs, and correct pronoun usage, Today's Free English Lesson on MyEnglishTeacher.net

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    I don't like to contradict Soup, but ... .
    You haven't, Anne. No worries. From a prescribed viewpoint, yes, the construct "It is me" is considered ungrammatical. From a descriptive standpoint, however, it's perfectly good English. It's just not the kind of English the Queen of England, for example, would use in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    You haven't, Anne. No worries. From a prescribed viewpoint, yes, the construct "It is me" is considered ungrammatical. From a descriptive standpoint, however, it's perfectly good English. It's just not the kind of English the Queen of England, for example, would use in public.
    Yes, I saw on a second reading that I had misinterpreted what you said.

Sorry about that, Chief!

That's right. I think most speakers of prestige English would always say "me" here except under formal circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast