• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Smile Article before Proper Nouns

Hi,

Is this rule correct that we dont add indefinate articles before proper nouns?

Thanks
    Last edited by anupumh; 21-Oct-2009 at 17:49.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Article before Proper Nouns

I would agree with that. A proper noun is one that is usually capitalized, and the person, event or place that is named is generally considered unique. For example, "White House" as the residence of the president of the United States.

"I want to visit the White House" not "I want to visit a White House." If you said (not wrote), the last sentence, it would sound like your preference was to visit any house that is painted white.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    I would agree with that. A proper noun is one that is usually capitalized, and the person, event or place that is named is generally considered unique. For example, "White House" as the residence of the president of the United States.

"I want to visit the White House" not "I want to visit a White House." If you said (not wrote), the last sentence, it would sound like your preference was to visit any house that is painted white.
    Can MA or MBA be used as proper nouns? or they are always countable nouns?

Can a proper noun be a countable noun as well?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

If she has an MA (Master of Arts degree), she is not alone with that distinction. Therefore, it is not a proper noun, even though it is captilized.

If she is visiting MA (Massachusetts), it is a proper noun, but we don't use articles in front of place names very often (the Yukon, the Ukraine are exceptions that many would say should also drop their articles).

Yes, MA and MBA (the degrees) are countable. There were 7450 MAs granted last year by American colleges and universities. (I made up the number...I don't really know how many!)

Proper nouns can not normally be countable, as they are, by definition particular, unique. As in the White House example above. HOWEVER, there are always exceptions, just as there are several Jims and even more Marys in the world. Personally, I am one of the Jims. And that makes it (the proper noun, Jim) countable (if you took the trouble to count, that is).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    If she has an MA (Master of Arts degree), she is not alone with that distinction. Therefore, it is not a proper noun, even though it is captilized.

If she is visiting MA (Massachusetts), it is a proper noun, but we don't use articles in front of place names very often (the Yukon, the Ukraine are exceptions that many would say should also drop their articles).

Yes, MA and MBA (the degrees) are countable. There were 7450 MAs granted last year by American colleges and universities. (I made up the number...I don't really know how many!)

Proper nouns can not normally be countable, as they are, by definition particular, unique. As in the White House example above. HOWEVER, there are always exceptions, just as there are several Jims and even more Marys in the world. Personally, I am one of the Jims. And that makes it (the proper noun, Jim) countable (if you took the trouble to count, that is).
    Thak you very much Jim for an elaborate answer