Red face help on /l/ and /r/

hi i have to imagine i was teaching the phonemes /l/ and /r/. my aim is to help my students distinguish between the two sounds and pronounce them as accurately as possible while at the same time reminding myself of the stages of teaching sounds.

how would i go about describing step by step how i would teach these sounds. not looking for the answer just a quick tutorial on how i would go and do this would be good.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: help on /l/ and /r/

Quote Originally Posted by tonyheaney View Post
    hi i have to imagine i was teaching the phonemes /l/ and /r/. my aim is to help my students distinguish between the two sounds and pronounce them as accurately as possible while at the same time reminding myself of the stages of teaching sounds.

how would i go about describing step by step how i would teach these sounds. not looking for the answer just a quick tutorial on how i would go and do this would be good.
    The r sound is tricky, as it is pronounced differently in different parts of the world.

Clipped R = Standard British English (RP) the post vocalic /r/ sound is not pronounced (Rhotic and Non Rhotic Accent)
    Rolled R = Standard American English the /r/ sound is rolled and prolonged
    And scottish R is different and has a different characteristic sound "Trilled"..

Thus which /r/ sound you want to teach to your students?

As for /l/ it is a lateral sound where the air passes out laterally from the sides of the tongue out of the mouth, you can start teaching them how to use the articulators to make the /l/ sound; tongue touches the teeth or the ridge when you blow air and air passes from the sides of the tongue..