• Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

two questions

I have two guestions
    1. I would like to know the meaning of "Einstein for a Day" and "a fine sense of humor" in the next passage.
    2. I would like to know which part of the next passage is a fine sense of humor.

Einstein for a Day
    Albert Einstein, one of the world’s most brilliant and respected scientists, is best known
    for formulating the theory of relativity, which played a critical role in the development of atomic energy. What may not be as widely known is that Einstein had a fine sense of humor.
    There’s an amusing story about how Einstein was traveling to universities in a
    chauffeured car, giving lectures on relativity. One day the chauffeur said, “Dr. Einstein, I’ve heard you give that lecture about 30 times. I know it by heart, and I bet I could give it myself.”“Well, I’ll give you the chance, said Einstein. “They won’t recognize me at the school. When we get there I’ll put on your cap, and you introduce yourself as me and give the lecture.”The chauffeur gave Einstein’s lecture without a single mistake. When he finished, he started to leave, but one of the professors stopped him to ask a complex question. The chauffeur thought fast. “That problem is so trivial,” he said. “I’m surprised you have to ask me. In fact, to show you just how simple it is, I'm going to ask my chauffeur to come up here and answer your question."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: two questions

Einstein for a day means that the chauffeur was given the chance to pretend he was Dr Einstein, for a day (or at least, for one lecture).

The fine sense of humor that Dr E reportedly had, was not reflected in the story, unless it was one that Dr E made up entirely. As reported, it was the chauffeur who had a fine sense of humor and quick wit, to call the real Dr E (masquerading as a chauffeur) to the stage to answer the question that the real chauffeur (masquerading as Dr E) clearly could not answer.

A fine sense of humor simply means "a sense of humor" - the fine is an emphatic or intensifier ("very good"), with a suggestion that it is smart humor as opposed to, say, slapstick or what is called "broad" humor (pie in the face) or other types of humor.

If the story is true, and Dr E is reporting it, then it does not reflect his own humor, only his ability to relate a story.