• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Pashto, Pushto
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Question Passive sentence

Hello respected members! What are the passive sentences for the following active?
    1. Thank you.
    2. Congratulations!
    3. What a beautiful girl!
    4. Let's do the assignment.
    5. Let's go to the zoo.
    6. They have tried to break the election law.
    7. She wants me to go.

Thanking you in participation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Passive sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Ikramullah View Post
    Hello respected members! What are the passive sentences for the following active?
    1. Thank you.
    2. Congratulations!
    3. What a beautiful girl!
    4. Let's do the assignment.
    5. Let's go to the zoo.
    6. They have tried to break the election law.
    7. She wants me to go.

Thanking you in participation.
    1. You are thanked (by me).
    2. Congratulations!
    3. What a beautiful girl! (where is the verb? - is the girl the object? does she know the subject?)
    4. Let the assignment be done (by us).
    5. Let the zoo be gone (by us) (argh!!). Let the zoo be visited (by us).
    6. The election law has been tried to be broken. The electin law was tried to be broken.
    7. I go is wanted (by her). The fact that I go is wanted by her. My departure is wanted.

You know, not all sentences admit a passive version. Just to begin with, you must have a subject, a transitive verb and an object (these ingredients are required, but not sufficient), the subject must transmit an action to the object, which can be inverted. In my opinion none of your sentences admit a passive version. It would be interesting if someone explained one by one why these sentences do not admit a passive version.

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    1. You are thanked (by me).
    Rare. It's more common in the form 'to be thanked' - 'Many people are to be thanked for this achievement, but I'll mention only a few...'

2. Congratulations!
    'Congratulations are due.' This too is rare. 'Congratulations' is usually spoken, and informal speakers generally prefer the active voice.
    3. What a beautiful girl! (where is the verb? - is the girl the object? does she know the subject?)
    As in 2, this sort of exclamation wouldn't naturally be made passive. You're right to ask where the verb is.
    4. Let the assignment be done (by us). (but to use your word, 'argh' )
    5. Let the zoo be gone to (by us) (argh!!). Let the zoo be visited (by us). - but I agree about the 'argh'. 'Argh' would apply to your 2nd option too, except maybe in an opening ceremony: 'It gives me great pleasure to declare this wonderful extension open. Let the zoo be visited by many people.'
    6. The election law has been tried to be broken. The election law was tried to be broken. Trying to make both verbs passive is hopelessly confusing, as there's one subject but two objects (one explicit - the law - and one implicit - a breach of the law)' If you're not happy with an active verb, this is possible: ''An effort at a breach of the law has been made by them." Again, 'argh', even 'groogh' or maybe 'yuck'. I'd say 'Efforts have been made [by them] to break the law'
    7. I go is wanted (by her). The fact that I go is wanted by her. My departure is wanted. Both , but unlikely in real life.

You know, not all sentences admit a passive version. Just to begin with, you must have a subject, a transitive verb and an object (these ingredients are required, but not sufficient), the subject must transmit an action to the object, which can be inverted. In my opinion none of your sentences admit a passive version. It would be interesting if someone explained one by one why these sentences do not admit a passive version.

PS Not a native speaker

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you very much BobK !