help us plz.

brothers and sisters , i will be so happy and grateful as if u would like to let me know the difeerence between:

Time is up.
    Time is over.

thanx

Re: help us plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Watan View Post
    brothers and sisters , i will be so happy and grateful as if u would like to let me know the difeerence between:

Time is up.
    Time is over.

thanx
    Time is up.
    I think we would use this on the spot, to say that the pre-set interval has just now elapsed and no more time may be spent on the task.

- This is what the teacher says when the interval allowed for some activity has elapsed. "Okay, students. Time's up. Put down your pencils and turn in your tests."
    --------------------------------

Time is over.
    I don't know of too many circumstances to say "Time is over."

- If someone said it when the usual expression would be "Time is up," everyone would understand it.

- Possibly it could be used to indicate that the interval referred to has come and gone: "Great paddle steamships used to ply the Mississippi, but that time is over."

- I can't think of any usage for "Time is over" without an article of some kind: "The time is over when you can act like a child. Now you must learn to accept responsibility."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1977 View Post
    Time is up.
    I think we would use this on the spot, to say that the pre-set interval has just now elapsed and no more time may be spent on the task.

- This is what the teacher says when the interval allowed for some activity has elapsed. "Okay, students. Time's up. Put down your pencils and turn in your tests."

Time is over.

- If someone said it when the usual expression would be "Time is up," everyone would understand it.

- Possibly it could be used to indicate that the interval referred to has come and gone: "Great paddle steamships used to ply the Mississippi, but that time is over."

- I can't think of any usage for "Time is over" without an article of some kind: "The time is over when you can act like a child. Now you must learn to accept responsibility."
    I have heard this dialiogue in movies...

"Your time is over"

and there you never use "time is up"

Rarely heard "Your time is up"

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    I have heard this dialiogue in movies...

"Your time is over"

and there you never use "time is up"

Rarely heard "Your time is up"
    If I heard "Your time is over," I would take it to mean "Get off the stage. Your time to shine has come and gone. Move over to let the new leadership in. Your day is done; a new day is dawning."

If I heard someone in the movies say, "Your time is up," I would take it to mean that they're going to bump him off.

But I suppose if Goldfinger were pointing a gun at James Bond and saying, "Goodbye, Mr. Bond. Your time is over," I would know what he meant!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

If I heard "Your time is over," I would take it to mean "Get off the stage. Your time to shine has come and gone. Move over to let the new leadership in. Your day is done; a new day is dawning."

If I heard someone in the movies say, "Your time is up," I would take it to mean that they're going to bump him off.

But I suppose if Goldfinger were pointing a gun at James Bond and saying, "Goodbye, Mr. Bond. Your time is over," I would know what he meant!
    Yeah... LoL thats the context which dawned in my mind with "Your time is over"
    Villain saying it to the Hero

Time is up.

Time is over.

Thaaaaaaaaaaanx brother

Quote Originally Posted by Watan View Post
    Thaaaaaaaaaaanx brother

'Sokay, dude!

Have a good one.