Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    #1

    I spoke to her/I did speak to her ?

    Does it have the same meaning if I say : "I spoke to her" or : "I did speak to her." ?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: I spoke to her/I did speak to her ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    Does it have the same meaning if I say : "I spoke to her" or : "I did speak to her." ?
    Yes, it has the same meaning. But "did" is not necessary for a positive indicative statement.
    You need "did" for:
    1. Questions - Did you speak to her?
    2. Negations - I didn't speak to her.
    3. Emphasis - I did speak to her!

    That is in the past tense. The same applies for "do" in the present tense. It is only used as an auxiliary in the above cases.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    #3

    Re: I spoke to her/I did speak to her ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, it has the same meaning. But "did" is not necessary for a positive indicative statement.
    You need "did" for:
    1. Questions - Did you speak to her?
    2. Negations - I didn't speak to her.
    3. Emphasis - I did speak to her!

    That is in the past tense. The same applies for "do" in the present tense. It is only used as an auxiliary in the above cases.
    Thanks ! Is it the same with : I already did know it/ I already knew it. ? Should one preferably use the past tense without the auxiliary "did" ?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: I spoke to her/I did speak to her ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    Thanks ! Is it the same with : I already did know it/ I already knew it. ? Should one preferably use the past tense without the auxiliary "did" ?
    Yes, you don't use the auxiliary "do" unless you need it.
    In the above sentence, I used it because it's a negation.

Similar Threads

  1. talk to vs talk with - speak to vs speak with
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2009, 17:15
  2. to speak English very well .. what should you do??
    By The Joker10 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2009, 04:59
  3. [Grammar] 'do you speak..?' vs 'can you speak..?'
    By je2ks2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2009, 11:32
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 10:42
  5. Speak to or speak with ?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2005, 11:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •