When am I supposed to take "Apparently"?

Dear dudes,
    I have got confusing with "Apparently" meaning. Which situation am I supposed to use? I have ever known from the native speaker said that it was similar to obviously. but, I did not deeply get to understand. could you please elaborate my outstanding question?

Ta.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: When am I supposed to take "Apparently"?

Obviously is used when it's very clear that it's the situation.

I have two apples and you have two apples so obviously, we have four in total.

Apparently is used when it seems to be true, although it's either not clear, or it's very new knowledge.

You have just found out that Janet is going with you and your friend Tom to dinner. The hostess at the restaurant asks how many people will be there when you make the reservation. "Apparently, three."

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Obviously is used when it's very clear that it's the situation.

I have two apples and you have two apples so obviously, we have four in total.

Apparently is used when it seems to be true, although it's either not clear, or it's very new knowledge.

You have just found out that Janet is going with you and your friend Tom to dinner. The hostess at the restaurant asks how many people will be there when you make the reservation. "Apparently, three."
    That was absolutely clear. Thank you very much indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by natthapol View Post
    Dear dudes,
    I have got confusing with "Apparently" meaning. Which situation am I supposed to use? I have ever known from the native speaker said that it was similar to obviously. but, I did not deeply get to understand. could you please elaborate my outstanding question?

Ta.
    We use "apparently" when we are able to infer something, or the truth about something, from given information or a set of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by natthapol View Post
    Dear dudes,

Ta.
    As well as what I explained in my previous post, "apparently" is similar to "obviously", but "obviously" is more conclusive, or one could say a stronger inference, and "apparently", while indicating that one can easily infer something, is not as strong as "obviously".