who will blink first

Hello, any idea how to call a game, mainly played by children, when two children stare into each other's eyes and the winner is who laughs second. French say jeu de la barbichette. I found a word in my dictionary, but I doubt you can say: Let's play who will blink first. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: who will blink first

Here kids say "Let's have a staring contest."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

At the time of the Cuban missile crisis, some high-ranking American whose name esapes me said something like 'We were eyeball-to-eyeball and the other guy just blinked' - which suggests there's no ready-made noun phrase. K's suggestion makes sense. In Br Eng a challenge to such a contest might be 'Wanna try and stare me out?'

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    At the time of the Cuban missile crisis, some high-ranking American whose name esapes me said something like 'We were eyeball-to-eyeball and the other guy just blinked' - which suggests there's no ready-made noun phrase. K's suggestion makes sense. In Br Eng a challenge to such a contest might be 'Wanna try and stare me out?'

b
    That's interesting. I've never heard "stare one out" before. In AmE, it's "stare one down".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    That's interesting. I've never heard "stare one out" before. In AmE, it's "stare one down".
    In Br English you can 'face someone down' but that doesn't involve hostile staring so much as a defiant gaze (and it can be metaphorical - say, with email as the medium, rather than personal contact).

b