• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

a specimen of her clothing

a specimen of her clothing

This is an example I found in a dictionary, and the dictionary says the definition of specimen is 'a small amount of something that you take so that you can test or examine it'. Can anyone tell me what the phrase means please? Thanks!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: a specimen of her clothing

It means A sample, as of tissue, blood, or urine, used for analysis and diagnosis. Try this dictionary: Specimen Definition | Definition of Specimen at Dictionary.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much, Soup. But I'm still not sure about the meaning of this noun phrase. Why is 'specimen' is used here? What could this specimen of her clothing possibly be used for? Does 'her clothing' mean the clothes she wears or the clothes designed by her?

Quote Originally Posted by lauraguan View Post
    Thank you very much, Soup. But I'm still not sure about the meaning of this noun phrase. Why is 'specimen' is used here? What could this specimen of her clothing possibly be used for? Does 'her clothing' mean the clothes she wears or the clothes designed by her?
    Someone needed a piece of her clothing for some purpose that made them think of that piece in a context of "testing" it.

For example, a specimen of her clothing might be sent to the forensics lab to test for evidence.

A personal shopper might want a specimen of her clothing to better understand her favorite colors and fabrics, or to match a skirt to her specimen blouse.

Bloodhounds might be given a specimen of her clothing to smell so they could try to track her in the forest.
    --------------------------------

If the clothing is designed by her, a fashion house might want a "sample" or "specimen" of her work, to see if they want to include it in their line. In that usage, it is like an element in a portfolio.

-------------------------------

I think "specimen" is an unusual choice. A "piece" of her clothes, or a "sample" of her designs, would be my first choice. The use of the word "specimen" strongly suggests "for laboratory use," so if someone said, "We need a specimen of Mary's clothing," I would think, "Oh no!"