• Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

don't vs doesn't

Dear English Language Gurus,

I speak and write English every day. But, I am not confident on what I speak and what I write. I always google to verify if the sentence is grammatically correct or not. I presume that the sentence is formatted correctly if I find more matches on the search engine (I know it is dumbest assumption). However, I am still not sure how to gain confidence in what I speak and write. Per my experience, reference books can help only up to some extent and cannot guide me on if I am making any mistake in the daily usage of English language. Can anybody suggest a good approach that can assess what error I am making on a daily basis and guide me to improve my English language speaking and writing skills.

Today, I am stuck with the words don't and doesn't. I am not sure if i am using these terms correctly in my sentences. Whether i am using one word in place of another. Is there any rule of thumb that I can use to decide on what to use these two words - "doesn't" and "don't".

Thank you very much,
    Sanchi

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: don't vs doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by sanchalanam View Post
    Dear English Language Gurus,

I speak and write English every day. But, I am not confident on what I speak and what I write. I always google to verify if the sentence is grammatically correct or not. I presume that the sentence is formatted correctly if I find more matches on the search engine (I know it is dumbest assumption). However, I am still not sure how to gain confidence in what I speak and write. Per my experience, reference books can help only up to some extent and cannot guide me on if I am making any mistake in the daily usage of English language. Can anybody suggest a good approach that can assess what error I am making on a daily basis and guide me to improve my English language speaking and writing skills.

Today, I am stuck with the words don't and doesn't. I am not sure if i am using these terms correctly in my sentences. Whether i am using one word in place of another. Is there any rule of thumb that I can use to decide on what to use these two words - "doesn't" and "don't".

Thank you very much,
    Sanchi
    "Doesn't", which as I am sure you know is a contraction of "does not, is used in the third person:
    I do not (don't)
    You do not
    He/she/it does not (doesn't)
    We do not
    They do not

English verbs take an "s" in the third person. In the case of "do" add "es".