Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    think

    I think you are a good singer.
    I thought you are a good singer.

    does the second one imply this:
    In the past, I thought that you are a good singer, but now you aren't.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: think

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    I think you are a good singer.
    I thought you are a good singer.

    does the second one imply this:
    In the past, I thought that you were/are a good singer, but now you aren't.
    Yes, exactly so.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: think

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    I think you are a good singer.
    I thought you are a good singer.

    does the second one imply this:
    In the past, I thought that you are a good singer, but now you aren't.
    No it doesn't. "I thought you are a good singer" is wrong.
    To convey your meaning, you need:
    "I used to think you were a good singer" or
    "I think you used to be a good singer" or
    "I thought you were a good singer at one time"

    but not "I thought you are ..."

  3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #4

    Re: think

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No it doesn't. "I thought you are a good singer" is wrong.
    To convey your meaning, you need:
    "I used to think you were a good singer" or
    "I think you used to be a good singer" or
    "I thought you were a good singer at one time"

    but not "I thought you are ..."
    Many thanks
    Really I don't know how to thank you.

    Mr Raymott, could you please have a look:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...nce-right.html
    Last edited by sash2008; 27-Oct-2009 at 12:32.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 21
    #5

    Re: think

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "I used to think you were a good singer" or
    "I thought you were a good singer at one time"

    "I think you used to be a good singer" or
    Sorry for jumping in the topic, but it got my attention.

    Am I right when I feel the first two sentences to have a very similar (or the same) meaning, while the 3rd one is a bit different?

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: think

    Quote Originally Posted by TomKQT View Post
    Sorry for jumping in the topic, but it got my attention.

    Am I right when I feel the first two sentences to have a very similar (or the same) meaning, while the 3rd one is a bit different?
    They are all mean basically the same thing, and the connotations could be different depending on the context.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •