Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    thesis

    difference between thesis and essay


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: thesis

    "thesis" denotes higher academic standards. When you write a thesis, you dig deeper than when you write an essay.

  2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: thesis

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    "thesis" denotes higher academic standards. When you write a thesis, you dig deeper than when you write an essay.
    Thank you
    but what I know is: a thesis is only one sentence which is called thesis statement and it is written at the end of the introduction of the essay.

    Am I right?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,265
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: thesis

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Thank you
    but what I know is: a thesis is only one sentence which is called thesis statement and it is written at the end of the introduction of the essay.

    Am I right?
    Obviously you are referring to a lesser-known definition of the word.

    Cambridge: the main idea, opinion or theory of a person, group, piece of writing or speech. Their main thesis was that war was inevitable.

    M-W: a proposition to be proved or one advanced without proof

    The thesis could be called the topic sentence of your essay. It is a statement that gives an overview of the argument that you are going to make. The end of the introduction is one place it can go.

  4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: thesis

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Obviously you are referring to a lesser-known definition of the word.

    Cambridge: the main idea, opinion or theory of a person, group, piece of writing or speech. Their main thesis was that war was inevitable.

    M-W: a proposition to be proved or one advanced without proof

    The thesis could be called the topic sentence of your essay. It is a statement that gives an overview of the argument that you are going to make. The end of the introduction is one place it can go.
    Thank you


    Essay:
    introduction: last sentence is called the thesis statement.
    first body paragraph:first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    second body paragraph: first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    third body paragraph: first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    conclusion.

    This what I mean.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,265
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: thesis

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Thank you


    Essay:
    introduction: last sentence is called the thesis statement.
    first body paragraph:first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    second body paragraph: first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    third body paragraph: first sentence is called a topic sentence.
    conclusion.

    This what I mean.
    Yes.

Similar Threads

  1. Thesis in an essay!
    By Atesttaker in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2004, 03:14
  2. Thesis in an essay!
    By Atesttaker in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2004, 16:21
  3. thesis'
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2004, 05:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •