1. Unregistered

beginning a sentence with conjunction and a comma

I think that subordinating conjunctions can be used at the beginning of sentences, if they are followed by independent clauses. For example, "But, my friend, she was killed in the kitchen with a candlestick."

I also believe that this should be done for dramatic reasons; this shouldn't be done frequently. Also, I recommend to my students that they consider substituting that subordinating conjunction with a conjunctive adverb.

So please refrain from comments about the correctness of subordinate conjunctions. My question to you is if we should or must write a comma after the subordinating conjunction that begins a sentence. Do we do this every time? I have suggested this to students in the past as a way to remind them that the comma should be followed by an independent clause.

Thank you,
    rickymay
    beijing

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: beginning a sentence with conjunction and a comma

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think that subordinating conjunctions can be used at the beginning of sentences, if they are followed by independent clauses. For example, "But, my friend, she was killed in the kitchen with a candlestick."

I also believe that this should be done for dramatic reasons; this shouldn't be done frequently. Also, I recommend to my students that they consider substituting that subordinating conjunction with a conjunctive adverb.

So please refrain from comments about the correctness of subordinate conjunctions. My question to you is if we should or must write a comma after the subordinating conjunction that begins a sentence. Do we do this every time? I have suggested this to students in the past as a way to remind them that the comma should be followed by an independent clause.

Thank you,
    rickymay
    beijing
    No, there is no automatic necessity for a comma in this position.