Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,618
    #1

    demand doing sth

    Dictionaries never list the use of the structures of 'demand sb to do sth', 'demand doing sth' or 'demand doing (= demand to be done). So I was very surprised when I read these sentences in the time magazine corpus:

    Farmers would demand them to plow their fields at night.
    The Negroes demand seating in buses on a first come, first seated basis.
    The Civil Aeronautics Board and some quick-tempered politicians had demanded grounding the Electra.

    So are they good English? Are these structures not listed in dictionaries simply because they are not used often enough to get in dictionaries?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: demand doing sth

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Dictionaries never list the use of the structures of 'demand sb to do sth', 'demand doing sth' or 'demand doing (= demand to be done). So I was very surprised when I read these sentences in the time magazine corpus:

    Farmers would demand them to plow their fields at night.
    The Negroes demand seating in buses on a first come, first seated basis.
    The Civil Aeronautics Board and some quick-tempered politicians had demanded grounding the Electra.

    So are they good English? Are these structures not listed in dictionaries simply because they are not used often enough to get in dictionaries?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.
    No, they are not good English, except that there may possibly be an argument for "demand seating".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,618
    #3

    Re: demand doing sth

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, they are not good English, except that there may possibly be an argument for "demand seating".
    Thanks, bhaisahab. Then are they acceptable since they are in such a famous magazine?
    Thanks again.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: demand doing sth

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Thanks, bhaisahab. Then are they acceptable since they are in such a famous magazine?
    Thanks again.
    No, the fact that they are in any famous publication doesn't make them acceptable, not in my opinion anyway.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •