• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I wish If I were

Hello!
    I've got a couple of questions.

1. Is it OK to say "I wish if I were" instead of "I wish I were"? Just wondered seeing that structure on youtube. The guy who wrote that is from the UK.

2. What does "This is it" mean in the title of the last Michael Jackson's rehearsal? I just want to compare it with the russian translation which stands for that's all.

Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: I wish If I were

Quote Originally Posted by greegorush View Post
    Hello!

1. Is it OK to say "I wish if I were" instead of "I wish I were"? Just wondered seeing that structure on youtube. The guy who wrote that is from the UK.

2. What does "This is it" mean in the title of the last Michael Jackson's rehearsal? I just want to compare it with the russian translation which stands for that's all.

Thank you in advance.
    I don't think the first is correct and the second has been translated correctly - it's over, that's all, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I wish If I were

Quote Originally Posted by greegorush View Post
    Hello!

Thank you in advance.
    1. It's incorrect.
    2. One meaning of "This is it" is "This is the thing you've been waiting for. This is that great, wonderful, exciting thing you have been expecting." I don't find "That's all" to be an accurate translation. Closer would be a word that means "Finally" ( as in, Finally, it's here.)