• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

shall we/ will we

Hi, teachers.
    # " Will you meet me at the club ? We can have lunch. " # " Will we talk ? " Jeff says. # " We will. Hablaremos. " # " Where will I see you? " Jeff asks. #(COCA)
    In the context, can #1Shall we talk? take the place of #2Will we talk? ?
    To my ear, #1 suggests a request in a polite way while #2 relates to a future time. So they are defferent.
    Could you possibly correct the wrong, if any?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: shall we/ will we

Quote Originally Posted by norwolf View Post
    Hi, teachers.
    # " Will you meet me at the club ? We can have lunch. " # " Will we talk ? " Jeff says. # " We will. Hablaremos. " # " Where will I see you? " Jeff asks. #(COCA)
    In the context, can #1Shall we talk? take the place of #2Will we talk? ?
    To my ear, #1 suggests a request in a polite way while #2 relates to a future time. So they are defferent.
    Could you possibly correct the wrong, if any?
    They are not different, but Shall we is preferred to Will we as explained here.
    In old English, Shall denotes simple futurity in the first person. and Will denotes simple futurity in the second and third persons. Hence, the following were supposed to be the proper forms of expressing simple future time:
    I shall/you will die some day. (Declarative)
    Shall I/will they be here to-morrow? (Interrogative)

However, it not commonly accepted that “will” is any different from “shall” in referring to future time. As a matter of fact shall has largely disappeared from everyday English; its role is now mostly limited to questions in the first person that seek direction or give weak suggestion, such as Shall we go for lunch?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: shall we/ will we

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    They are not different, but Shall we is preferred to Will we as explained here.

However, it not commonly accepted that “will” is any different from “shall” in referring to future time. As a matter of fact shall has largely disappeared from everyday English; its role is now mostly limited to questions in the first person that seek direction or give weak suggestion, such as Shall we go for lunch?
    So we can say Will I/we to seek direction or give weak suggestion, can't we?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: shall we/ will we

Quote Originally Posted by norwolf View Post
    So we can say Will I/we to seek direction or give weak suggestion, can't we?

There has never been a consensus concerning the proper use of “shall” vs “will” in the future tense. So Will we or Will I are grammatical. However to learn the different point of view, please see here:Modals - Shall versus Will