Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    How do you pronounce : "Do you go to school today" ? Can "do" and "you" be pronounced with the "ou" sound like in "you" ?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    Do you can be pronounced clearly and separately, as dew - yew, but when it's run together, it's more like d'yew.

    Just because native speakers tend to slur and run words together does not mean you should try to copy that style, however. I am never one to promote a pretentious style of formal speach, but there is nothing wrong with saying Do You in a clear fashion.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    Do you can be pronounced clearly and separately, as dew - yew, but when it's run together, it's more like d'yew.

    Just because native speakers tend to slur and run words together does not mean you should try to copy that style, however. I am never one to promote a pretentious style of formal speach, but there is nothing wrong with saying Do You in a clear fashion.
    So : can one pronounce "Do you" in the same way as "You do" ?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,261
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    So : can one pronounce "Do you" in the same way as "You do" ?
    Yes, as long as you switch the consonants around!
    The vowel sound is the same.

    By the way, 'dew' is already /dju:/ in most English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, as long as you switch the consonants around!
    The vowel sound is the same.

    By the way, 'dew' is already /dju:/ in most English.
    Thanks, one more question : is the "w" in "dew" correct ?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,261
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: How do you pronounce "Do you" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    Thanks, one more question : is the "w" in "dew" correct ?
    Only to the extent that there is a suggestion of a /w/ at the end of any u: in most English accents.
    Don't go out of your way to pronounce it.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Pronounce the word NEWS as new-s or new-z?
    By jiaruchan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2009, 05:23
  2. Why Do Some People Pronounce "the" As "Da" or "Dee"??
    By VividJailbird in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28-Mar-2009, 11:25
  3. The Pronunciation Rules and The Writing System
    By M.Mozaffary in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 23:27
  4. how do Americans pronounce bottom, gotten, button?
    By arForeigner in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2009, 21:37
  5. "do you have", "have you got", or "have you"?
    By dihen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2006, 14:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •