• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Unhappy should

Hello,
    I am working on translation of some official form "Annual Return" which is to be submitted at companies registry (by some Hong Kong company) and there is the following: "For a private company having a share capital, the information in this return should be made up to the aniversary of the date of incorporation."
    How do understand "should"? Is it just a recommendation? Or do you have to follow this instruction?
    Thanks,
    Marketa.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: should

Quote Originally Posted by jirickova View Post
    Hello,
    I am working on translation of some official form "Annual Return" which is to be submitted at companies registry (by some Hong Kong company) and there is the following: "For a private company having a share capital, the information in this return should be made up to the aniversary of the date of incorporation."
    How do understand "should"? Is it just a recommendation? Or do you have to follow this instruction?
    Thanks,
    Marketa.
    I would think it's more an instruction (if not necessity) than recommendation. When it comes to companies registry (or any public sector organisations in this matter) 'should' is a polite way of saying that you 'must' If you don't do as you are told they raise questions etc.

Please note: I'm not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Re: should

Quote Originally Posted by jirickova View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks,
    Marketa.
    I think it is rather an instruction that is expressed in the form of an advice as the context of it is formal.
    Last edited by Nannou; 04-Nov-2009 at 23:32. Reason: missing word