• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

parentheses

Hi

Van der Dennenís problem is that, like so many modern scientists, he assumes that human behaviour can only be explained in physical terms, and ignores the fact that the human mind or psyche is to some degree an independent entity, which can change or develop along its own lines, without necessarily altering physical structure (even though changes might have some physical correlates).

--- Does the part in parentheses say that the changes in the human brain or the psyche might have something to do with the changes of the physical brain. That is, if our psyche changed, the physical brain might change as well? Is it what it says?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: parentheses

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

Van der Dennenís problem is that, like so many modern scientists, he assumes that human behaviour can only be explained in physical terms, and ignores the fact that the human mind or psyche is to some degree an independent entity, which can change or develop along its own lines, without necessarily altering physical structure (even though changes might have some physical correlates).

--- Does the part in parentheses say that the changes in the human brain or the psyche might have something to do with the changes of the physical brain. That is, if our psyche changed, the physical brain might change as well? Is it what it says?
    It sounds to me like a contradiction.
    They are trying to say that the mind can change without a change in the brain, but they then qualify that by adding that there might be physical correlates (they don't say where).

On the other hand, one can have biochemical, physiological changes in the brain without changing the "physical structure" of the brain.
    A physical correlate of a mental change could be either a cause or a result of the mental change. That is the nature of correlation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Hi Raymott

I think I'm more baffled now than I was before :)

To me it says that the mind or psyche can change by themselves (this change may have noting to do with the change of the physical structure of the brain) but (in the parentheses the author adds) that "these changes in the psyche or the mind may in some way lead to the change of the physical structure of the brain"

Can you tell me if I understood that part in the parentheses correctly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi Raymott

I think I'm more baffled now than I was before :)

To me it says that the mind or psyche can change by themselves (this change may have noting to do with the change of the physical structure of the brain) but (in the parentheses the author adds) that "these changes in the psyche or the mind may in some way lead to the change of the physical structure of the brain"

Can you tell me if I understood that part in the parentheses correctly?
    You're confused because it's a confusing passage - as I said, it's possibly contradictory.
    To your question: No! As I wrote above, correlation does not imply causation. Physical changes may cause changes in the mind. The author is saying only that there is a correlation.