• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

"cynical" vs "ridiculous"

The past few years have seen a steady increase in the number of people playing music in the streets. The past few years have also seen a steady increase in the number of malignant diseases. Are the two facts related? One wonders. But even if they are not--and, as I have pointed out, one cannot be sure -- music in the streets has definitely taken its toll. For it is at the very least disorienting. When one is walking down Fifth Avenue, one does not expect to hear a string quartet playing a Strauss waltz. What one expects to hear while walking down Fifth Avenue is traffic. When one does indeed hear a string quartet playing a Strauss waltz while one is walking down Fifth Avenue, one is apt to become confused and imagine that one is not walking down Fifth Avenue at all but rather that one has somehow wound up in Old Vienna. Should one imagine that one is in Old Vienna one is likely to become quite upset when one realizes that in Old Vienna there is no sale at Charles Jourdan (a New York store). And that is why when I walk down Fifth Avenue I want to hear traffic.

Q. The tone of the above passage is _________.
    a. cynical
    b. detached
    c. ridiculous
    d. serious

I went with 'c. ridiculous,' but OA says 'a. cynical' is right. However, I didn't accept that answer. What is your opinion? I want to hear you.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "cynical" vs "ridiculous"

What is your opinion? I want to hear you.
    Your last sentence suggests I should speak louder. You have already asked for the opinion of others, so "I want to hear you" is redundant.

To specifically answer your question:

To say - or 'call' - the passage "ridiculous" is to express your own subjective opinion. The other choices express possible objective evaluations of the tone of the passage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

To Excalibur.

Thanks for your pointing out my mistake and your explanation for my question as well.
    Did you feel it as if "you should speak louder!", I didn't intend to do so. The more the number of a sort of you who can point out a student's mistake increases, the less the student like me would makes mistake, I think.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepsycho View Post
    The past few years have seen a steady increase in the number of people playing music in the streets. The past few years have also seen a steady increase in the number of malignant diseases. Are the two facts related? One wonders. But even if they are not--and, as I have pointed out, one cannot be sure -- music in the streets has definitely taken its toll. For it is at the very least disorienting. When one is walking down Fifth Avenue, one does not expect to hear a string quartet playing a Strauss waltz. What one expects to hear while walking down Fifth Avenue is traffic. When one does indeed hear a string quartet playing a Strauss waltz while one is walking down Fifth Avenue, one is apt to become confused and imagine that one is not walking down Fifth Avenue at all but rather that one has somehow wound up in Old Vienna. Should one imagine that one is in Old Vienna one is likely to become quite upset when one realizes that in Old Vienna there is no sale at Charles Jourdan (a New York store). And that is why when I walk down Fifth Avenue I want to hear traffic.

Q. The tone of the above passage is _________.
    a. cynical
    b. detached
    c. ridiculous
    d. serious

I went with 'c. ridiculous,' but OA says 'a. cynical' is right. However, I didn't accept that answer. What is your opinion? I want to hear you.
    I'd say a. though this doesn't really express the tone properly.
    The tone is 'ridiculing'. I don't think it's ridiculous.
    Are all of these questions written by the same semi-literate author?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I'd say a. though this doesn't really express the tone properly.
    The tone is 'ridiculing'. I don't think it's ridiculous.
    Are all of these questions written by the same semi-literate author?
    My sentiments too.