1. dlantoria

unhealthful

Hi:

My principal wrote in a newsletter "Unhealthy snacks will not be allowed..." Since I was in charge of the newsletter, I made this correction "Unhealthful snacks will not be allowed..." The next day, I got a note from a school administrator questioning "unhealthful." I wrote her back saying "unhealthy" pertains to living things. Who is right?

On the same page of the newsletter, my principal wrote "see you all during parent-teacher conference on March 15-16..." Since I read somewhere that if the year is not mentioned, make it "in March 15-16." Who is right?

R Lantoria

Re: unhealthful

Quote Originally Posted by dlantoria
    Hi:

My principal wrote in a newsletter "Unhealthy snacks will not be allowed..." Since I was in charge of the newsletter, I made this correction "Unhealthful snacks will not be allowed..." The next day, I got a note from a school administrator questioning "unhealthful." I wrote her back saying "unhealthy" pertains to living things. Who is right?

On the same page of the newsletter, my principal wrote "see you all during parent-teacher conference on March 15-16..." Since I read somewhere that if the year is not mentioned, make it "in March 15-16." Who is right?

R Lantoria
    The matter of fact is that those two adjectives are used almost interchangeably and let's have a look at the definitions: (Guru dict.)
    Unhealthy -Causing or conducive to poor health,being in a state of ill health
    unhealthful - Causing or conducive to poor health

I think both are fine as far as I can see. No difference.

Not that I want to side with your principal but in March 15th doesn't sound all right.
    on is used in regards to days.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: unhealthful

At a time. (at 2:30)
    On a day. (on Tuesday, March 15th)
    In a month, year, century, etc. (in March, in 1957, in the 21st century)