• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What to say...

Hello all! This might sound like a silly question, but I just could not come up with the right response to the following situation described below:

A young child had just swung a hanging lamp and set it into motion. I wanted to tell the child's mother to stop the lamp from swaying, but I just blanked out and only managed to say "uh, stop that". What should I have said to be clear? Should I have said "Please stop the moving lamp?"--to me that response just doesn't sound right. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What to say...

"Watch out! The lamp!" (And point at the problem.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Would I still say that if she were looking at the lamp and not doing anything? What would be a more direct, yet polite way of asking her?

As there's a sense of urgency, I'd just say "The lamp!" while pointing to it. Given that scenario, every second counts. By the time you finish saying "Watch out! The lamp!", the lamp could've fallen.

Cheers!
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kevchua View Post
    As there's a sense of urgency, I'd just say "The lamp!" while pointing to it. Given that scenario, every second counts. By the time you finish saying "Watch out! The lamp!", the lamp could've fallen.

Cheers!
    Kev
    Well, if you have to be polite (because she's looking at it), then I suggest: "I believe the lamp is about to fall and you should do something about it."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Was the lamp about fall over? I can't understand why she would just look at it and not do anything unless she was as stunned as you.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The lamp wasn't about to fall immediately (although there was a chance if she had let it swing carelessly), however, she was ignoring the fact that it was moving. This happened at a restaurant.