1st Conditional exercise suggestions

Good morning,
    I'm doing the Celta semi-intensive and I'm going to do a grammar lesson on the 1st conditional with a group of pre-intermediate students.
    Can you suggest some written or freer speach activities that have a communicative purpose? That are not just gapfills or sentence constructions?
    I've already figured out a controlled practice speaking activity, but my tutor suggested I give students one where they have more freedom (i.e. they are not following the rules I set in the exercise)
    Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: 1st Conditional exercise suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by tinyteachinthemaking View Post
    Good morning,
    I'm doing the Celta semi-intensive and I'm going to do a grammar lesson on the 1st conditional with a group of pre-intermediate students.
    Can you suggest some written or freer speach activities that have a communicative purpose? That are not just gapfills or sentence constructions?
    I've already figured out a controlled practice speaking activity, but my tutor suggested I give students one where they have more freedom (i.e. they are not following the rules I set in the exercise)
    Thank you!
    For restricted practice you can do a chain one person says: If I call my friend she will be happy next person : If my friend is happy she will take me for a beer next......if my friend takes me for a beer we will have fun.....

for freerer practice you may ask them to tell the partner the craziest of their dreams and a partner may act as as "concerned mother/father" for example: I want to give up my job and go to Paris - ok, but what will you do if you don't find a job? give them some time to prepare their "concerns".
    Last edited by magdalena; 15-Nov-2009 at 03:04. Reason: sloppy writing