My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met."

A very famous Chinses educator was asking his fans to give their understandings of this statement. Later, he gave his version away on his blog. Hi said, "My wife and I were happy for 20 years. " actually means that before we met we were happy, then we married and we were not happy anymore.

Can anybody help me with the correct answer?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmira View Post
    "My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met."

A very famous Chinses educator was asking his fans to give their understandings of this statement. Later, he gave his version away on his blog. Hi said, "My wife and I were happy for 20 years. " actually means that before we met we were happy, then we married and we were not happy anymore.

Can anybody help me with the correct answer?

Thank you!
    I would say that, there is a hint of sarcasm here. According to this man he was happy before he met his wife. Then he met her, got married, and for whatever reasons he felt unhappy ever since then. (Unhappy being in this relationship).

Please note that I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello sarahmira

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above. Note, though, that intonation and word stress play a major role here: Then we met.`

Quote Originally Posted by misiania View Post
    I would say that, there is a hint of sarcasm here. According to this man he was happy before he met his wife. Then he met her, got married, and for whatever reasons he felt unhappy ever since then. (Unhappy being in this relationship).

Please note that I am not a teacher.
    Dear misainia,

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hello sarahmira

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above. Note, though, that intonation and word stress play a major role here: Then we met.`
    Dear Soup,So, "My wife and I were happy for 20 years." could mean that before we met we each has lived a happy life for 20 years? I've always thought that it means that we were happily married for 20 years. And, I also heard an expression that "although we have married for 30 years but we never really met." Here, "met" is more like "knew each other". Actually I learned this from Byron Katie,a "spiritual teacher". She said that most of us have never really met the people in our lives, all we have were the stories that we told ourselves about them. So, is it possible that "met" could mean "really see the person"? For example, My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we metI found out that all those years she was someone else's lover. :)I'll appreciate that if you could explore a little further here for me. Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, it's a quick, one-liner intended for a laugh. It doesn't have deep spiritual undertones about whether you really KNOW the person you are married to.

For 20 years, we each had a fun life. Then we met (and married) and we haven't been happy since.

It's just a joke. The humor comes from making the assumption (as you are supposed to do) that they were happily married for 20 years, not happy for 20 years while apart.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 13-Nov-2009 at 17:24.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Thumbs up Re: My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    No, it's a quick, one-liner intended for a laugh. It doesn't have deep spiritual undertones about whether you really KNOW the person you are married to.

For 20 years, we each had a fun life. Then we met (and married) and we haven't been happy since.

It's just a joke. The humor comes from making the assumption (as you are supposed to do) that they were happily married for 20 years, not happy for 20 years while apart.
    Dear Barb,

Thank you so much! Now I got it.