• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

be ear up/put off/hit it off/biting affliction/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I a on the right track with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The rye should soon be earing up.

be ear up = come into ear; form ears

You can always find an excuse to put anything off until later.

put off = delay or postpone

Everybody soon perceived that he was a poor teacher.

poor = lacking in specific resources, qualities or substances

Sharing a love of movies as well as their neighborhood background, De Niro and Scorsese hit it off

hit it off = wok well with; work in harmony; make a good team

To repay that money will be a biting affliction.

affliction = the cause of continued pain of body or mind, as sickness, losses, etc.; an instance of grievous distress; a pain or grief.

Some virtues are seen only in affliction.

affliction = the state of being afflicted; a state of pain, distress, or grief.

He was so harmonised by distance, that every former affliction had its charm.

And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;

Many are the afflictions of the righteous.

You have not taught your children light and truth, according to the commandments; and that wicked one hath power, as yet, over you, and this is the cause of your affliction.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: be ear up/put off/hit it off/biting affliction/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I a on the right track with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

be ear up = come into ear; form ears=It is a verbing of the noun Ďearí
    You can always find an excuse to put anything off until later.

put off = delay or postpone= Donít put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

Everybody soon perceived that he was a poor teacher.

poor = lacking in specific resources, qualities or substances OK

Sharing a love of movies as well as their neighborhood background, De Niro and Scorsese hit it off

hit it off = work well with; work in harmony; make a good team= to quickly become good friends with someone. So the sentence can be said this way:
    Look how De Niro hit it off withScorsese. Yes, they really hit it off.

To repay that money will be a biting affliction.

affliction = the cause of continued pain of body or mind, as sickness, losses, etc.; an instance of grievous distress; a pain or grief. Ok

Some virtues are seen only in affliction. OK Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many. (Jesus)

affliction = the state of being afflicted; a state of pain, distress, or grief.= Patience in affliction and suffering raises one to higher level of consciousness/spirituality.

He was so harmonized by distance, that every former affliction had its charm. Ok

And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;

Many are the afflictions of the righteous. OK The righteous people are the savior of society and the altimate creation.

You have not taught your children light and truth, according to the commandments; and that wicked one hath power, as yet, over you, and this is the cause of your affliction. Light should be right

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    SKP

Re: be ear up/put off/hit it off/biting affliction/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

be ear up = come into ear; form ears

V.
    In this context it means that the plant's seeds are maturing and swelling.