Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 58
    #1

    is understandable?

    "Essentially, The Russian ark is a journey through the Hermitage not only spatially, but also temporarily; it is the accumulation of several fragments of the Russian history from the last three hundred years ; from the times of Peter the Great, to the current days. "

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: is understandable?

    Quote Originally Posted by saeta View Post
    "Essentially, The Russian ark is a journey through the Hermitage not only spatially, but also temporarily; it is the accumulation of several fragments of the Russian history from the last three hundred years ; from the times of Peter the Great, to the current days. "
    Yes, it's understandable. You need to decide what the name of this (book/article/documentary) is and stick to it.
    If it's called the The Russian Ark, then that's how it should be written.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #3

    Re: is understandable?

    As Raymott says, it is understandable, but it is not very good English.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: is understandable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    As Raymott says, it is understandable, but it is not very good English.
    Yes, none of what saeta is posting is really good English. She seems to working on a tract about Russia. It's probably best for her to finish it before asking for corrections on the whole thing. Correcting the parts won't necessarily correct the whole. And perhaps her goal at this stage is not perfect English.


    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 58
    #5

    Question Re: is understandable?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    As Raymott says, it is understandable, but it is not very good English.
    Ok I get your point, and I understand that in order to right a good english is precise to read a lot and write a lot; however, do you have any specific advice for now?

    thks

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: is understandable?

    Quote Originally Posted by saeta View Post
    Ok I get your point, and I understand that in order to right a write good english is precise to read a lot and write a lot; however, do you have any specific advice for now?

    thks
    That wasn't a criticism. It was just a statement of fact.
    Just keep practicing.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #7

    Re: is understandable?

    Quote Originally Posted by saeta View Post
    Ok I get your point, and I understand that in order to right a good english is precise to read a lot and write a lot; however, do you have any specific advice for now?

    thks
    saeta, I am sorry if you took my comments as critcism, as Raymott said, it wasn't meant to be, I was just pointing it out to you. As Raymott also said, keep practising!

Similar Threads

  1. [General] understood / understandable
    By jiaruchan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2009, 19:51
  2. Evaluation, pls. help edit to be more understandable
    By democratsrep in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2009, 04:25
  3. [General] How can I make these sentences simple and understandable?
    By rafaelxx in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2008, 12:45
  4. Is the sentence understandable?
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-May-2008, 19:37
  5. Is this understandable
    By danielkramer in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2006, 13:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •