1. peterwook

have urges?

hello

Most of you experience urges when trying to break a habit and these can be hard to resist unless you find something else to do instead, and best of all, something that uses the same part of the body - even the same muscles.

in this sentence, "most of you experience urges" makes sense?
    isn't that too vague? i mean we have to say "urges to do something" or "urges for something". in that case, i think i can guess what the writer intended with "urges", but it doesn't seem quite natural to me.

let me know.
    thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: have urges?

Quote Originally Posted by peterwook View Post
    hello

Most of you experience urges when trying to break a habit and these can be hard to resist unless you find something else to do instead, and best of all, something that uses the same part of the body - even the same muscles.

in this sentence, does "most of you experience urges" make sense? Yes it does. It is understood that it means 'urges to do what you are trying to stop doing'.
    isn't that too vague? i mean we have to say "urges to do something" or "urges for something". in that case, i think i can guess what the writer intended with "urges", but it doesn't seem quite natural to me.

let me know.
    thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Yes and no. If you're an immortal from Mars, keep the "most of you." Otherwise, change it to "most of us."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Yes and no. If you're an immortal from Mars, keep the "most of you." Otherwise, change it to "most of us."
    Aside from the fact that that was not the focus of the poster's question, I think it can depend on the context.
    If one is addressing a group in person, I agree that "us" is better. But if one is remotely addressing an audience through a written piece, "you" seems fine to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Given the context, "when trying to break a habit," that opens it up to the whole species, iin my view. Why allow our dear pupil to sound egocentric, or worse, solipsistic?