• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Or so I would have you believe

quote from 《Friends》
    RICHARD: I thought of a thing.

MONICA: Yeah?

RICHARD: Yeah. I have to sleep, have to, on this side of the bed.

MONICA: No honey. You have to sleep on this side of the bed because I have to sleep on this side of the bed.

RICHARD: Or so I would have you believe.

MONICA: No. Big deal, so you have a side of the bed, everybody has a side of the bed.
    what does the sentence "Or so I would have you believe" mean?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Or so I would have you believe

Monica needs to sleep on a certain side of the bed, the east side, which means Richard has no choice in the matter but to abide by her wishes and sleep on the opposite side of the bed, the west side--or so that's what Monica thinks, or rather what Richard wants Monica to think. In truth, Richard not only likes to sleep on the opposite side of the bed, he prefers it. It's one of his 'cut little obsessive things' that he and Monica previously talked about. Richard explains: "I have to sleep on the west side because I grew up in California and otherwise the ocean would be on the wrong side."

Source

It means something along the lines of "Dream on!"

RICHARD: Yeah. I have to sleep, have to, on this side of the bed.

MONICA: No honey. You have to sleep on this side of the bed because I have to sleep on this side of the bed.

RICHARD: Yeah. I have to sleep... have to... on this side of the bed.

MONICA: No honey. You only "have to sleep on this side of the bed" (= the side Monica wants to sleep on) because I want to sleep on this side of the bed. (That is: Richard is making the decision who sleeps where because he needs to be in control. He's the man, he makes the decisions around this place! Monica is wise to him, knows the game he is playing - he just wants everything his way!)

Richard realizes Monica sees through him - knows how he always wants to be boss- so he tries to play a mind-game: you, Monica, only believe what you believe because I...I...would have/want you to believe it.

Imagine how Monica feels: do I really want to sleep on the left side of the bed, or do I only think that because Richard has made me think that way. Do I really want to sleep on the right side of the bed but Richard has 'hypnotised/done a Derren Brown* on me, and that's why I'm saying I want to sleep on the left side when I really would have chosen the right side?....

It's the kind of mind game that can drive you crazy.
    Most people see through it, and laugh - that's why it's in a comedy program!

It would help if Americans would keep "this' and 'that' clear (unless Richard and Monica are changing places at the foot of the bed.)

* A English showman who contends that he influences people's thoughts with subtle suggestion, manipulates the decision-making process and reads the subtle physical signs or body language that indicate what a person is thinking. And some people believe he can actually do it!

Hint: In his recent stunt that he would predict the National Lottery numbers, note that he didn't - he only revealed his numbers AFTER the lottery was drawn - with even more of a time lapse in the 'prediction' while the two bonus balls were being drawn.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 15-Nov-2009 at 00:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I can hardly understand such a conversation without seeing them.