Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

spiritual

"Don't be spiritual, be honest instead." "He is a spiritual person." "I'm spiritual."

Can anyone elaborate a little more on what the word "spiritual" really means or implies here?

Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: spiritual

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmira View Post
    "Don't be spiritual, be honest instead." "He is a spiritual person." "I'm spiritual."

Can anyone elaborate a little more on what the word "spiritual" really means or implies here?

Thank you very much!
    Spirituality is the knowledge related to spirit or soul or the unique Atman or God which reside within every living being. No one can feel its presence unless he reaches certain level of consciousness which is known as spiritual level or simply spiritual. We all live in a materialistic world because we are more attached to material things of life such as my house, my family, my wealth etc, thereby we distance away or detach ourselves from the spirit or soul and this distancing from soul brings us miseries and sorrow and ii is the real cause of unhappiness. One who is spiritual is less subjected to such feeling and posses greater peace of mind.

Don't be spiritual, be honest instead." It does not go well at all with the meaning of spirituality which has intellectual, moral and cultural values. It should be the other way: Don't be materialistic, be honest instead
    "He is a spiritual person." It means: he has a higher level of consciousness. He can distinguish good from the bad. He can feel the presence of unique Atman or God within him
    "I'm spiritual." It means: I have the knowledge of spirit, the all powerful Almighty or Atman.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 15-Nov-2009 at 04:49.

Re: spiritual

Thank you!
    Is there a less religious meaning to it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you!
    No, a spiritual person should necessarily be more religious in true sense because every religion shows the path to spirituality and realization of God within oneself and then within others.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank you!
    Yes there is, in the West. Spirituality is often contrasted to religion.
    Many people say they are spiritual, but not religious. This means that they believe they have a direct perception of spiritual matters without the entrapment of culturally-based dogma and ritual.
    In fact it's quite trendy. You get to live by your own rules, but also feel very pious at the same time.
    "Spiritual" people tend to go through a lot a scented candles and alternative health care; and instead of joining religions they become Reiki Masters and join green groups like "Save the Whales".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes there is, in the West. Spirituality is often contrasted to religion.
    Many people say they are spiritual, but not religious. This means that they believe they have a direct perception of spiritual matters without the entrapment of culturally-based dogma and ritual.
    In fact it's quite trendy. You get to live by your own rules, but also feel very pious at the same time.
    "Spiritual" people tend to go through a lot a scented candles and alternative health care; and instead of joining religions they become Reiki Masters and join green groups like "Save the Whales".
    You get to live by your own rules, but also feel very pious at the same time.
    This is the core principle of any religion. But you need help to frame the best possible rules which is provided by the religion To go higher up in any field call it education, business or industry you have to pass through different stages, Like wise in religion also there are stages. Religious rituals are just elementary lessons, while practicing Reiki principles or joining green groups are higher level of learning of the religion (school level lessons) If you want to study still higher (college level), then, do your work without expectations. In my religion ‘Hinduism’ it is called “Nishkama karma” It means you help the needy without expecting any thing from him. By this way; Man can become like God and acquire control over the whole universe if he multiplies infinitely his centre of self-consciousness, and that should be the ultimate goal in our life.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    You get to live by your own rules, but also feel very pious at the same time.
    This is the core principle of any religion. But you need help to frame the best possible rules which is provided by the religion To go higher up in any field call it education, business or industry you have to pass through different stages, Like wise in religion also there are stages. Religious rituals are just elementary lessons, while practicing Reiki principles or joining green groups are higher level of learning of the religion (school level lessons) If you want to study still higher (college level), then, do your work without expectations. In my religion ‘Hinduism’ it is called “Nishkama karma” It means you help the needy without expecting any thing from him. By this way; Man can become like God and acquire control over the whole universe if he multiplies infinitely his centre of self-consciousness, and that should be the ultimate goal in our life.
    Yes, but you are introducing religious principals, where the topic is spirituality.
    I don't understand how you can say that the core principle of any religion is living your life by your own rules. No religion I know of has this doctrine, except Satanism. "Do as thou wilt".
    I think this is the exact point the OP is talking about. Many people reject religions, which are organised, traditional, shared. Unless you consider it possible to have a religion of one person, spiritual does not mean religious.
    (I was being a bit facetious about New Age religions, but it's also true).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, but you are introducing religious principals, where the topic is spirituality.
    I don't understand how you can say that the core principle of any religion is living your life by your own rules. No religion I know of has this doctrine, except Satanism. "Do as thou wilt".
    I think this is the exact point the OP is talking about. Many people reject religions, which are organised, traditional, shared. Unless you consider it possible to have a religion of one person, spiritual does not mean religious.
    (I was being a bit facetious about New Age religions, but it's also true).
    There is relationship between religious principles and spirituality. You can not feel pioous unless your working rules are perfect or in agreement with religious teachings. If your own rules are meant for selfish ends, that is Satnical. On the other hand if they are based on religious principles, they will lift a person to the higher level of spirituality as he goes on multiplying his centre of self-consciousness and when he feels like God and acquire control over the whole universe, it is the highest level of spirituality.

All that may well be true, but there are many "religious" people who are far from having spirituality, and there are "spiritual" people who reject religion completely. It is a term that is often used by people to excuse their lack of religious belief.

Also, to go back to the original post, and looking at the three samples, a lot depends on context.

"Don't be spiritual, be honest instead." Could mean that someone is regarded as airy-fairy and lacking gravitas.

"He is a spiritual person." I think this could well be a straighforward statement of fact and indeed admiration: "I do so admire the Dalai Lama. He is a spiritual person".

"I'm spiritual." Without context, looks like a rather dubious boast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast