• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

does this sound OK

I translated the following abstract into English but I am not sure it is good English. Could you please suggest corrections?

"In view of the great variety of environment conditions a need for introducing a new correction coefficient in the formula for evaluating the failure rate of power supplies has been recognized. The role of this coefficient is to account for the specific environment conditions thus improving the selected evaluation method."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: does this sound OK

Quote Originally Posted by snade17 View Post
    I translated the following abstract into English but I am not sure it is good English. Could you please suggest corrections?

"In view of the great variety of environmental conditions, a need to introduce a new correction coefficient into the formula for evaluating the failure rate of power supplies has been recognized. The role of this coefficient is to account for the specific environmental conditions, thus improving the selected evaluation method."
    This is better I think.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Thank you very much!

The role of this coefficient is to account for the specific environmental conditions,

The correction coefficient does not 'account for' the environmental conditions - it 'takes them into account'

'The role of this coefficient is to adjust for these specific environmental conditions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by snade17 View Post

"In view of the great variety of environment conditions a need for introducing a new correction coefficient in the formula for evaluating the failure rate of power supplies has been recognized. The role of this coefficient is to account for the specific environment conditions thus improving the selected evaluation method."
    The second sentence shouldn't be necessary. You've already said why you need the new coefficient, and the fact that adding it will be an improvement should go without saying.
    "To account for the great variety of environmental conditions, a need has been recognized for the introduction of a new correction coefficient into the formula for evaluating the failure rate of power supplies.

"a need has been recognized for the introduction of" - "we've recognized the need to introduce"