• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Does this sentence require a comma?

In the following sentence, I think the word writing is considered to be the understood subject of the second clause and and the verb is can be considered to be the understook verb of the same claue. If that is so, then a comma before but would not be correct. However, this sentence has me confused. Should a comma go before the word but or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Does this sentence require a comma?

Where is the sentence you want us to review?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Question Re: Does this sentence require a comma?

Dear Barb,

I haven't got a clue what you mean by "second conditionals," and am now even more lost! I can understand a simple yes or no response, though. Do you vote for the comma or not?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

That's just my signature line, and it's not related to your sentence. I cannot find the sentence you want reviewed. Where is it?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

I'm curious now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Must have been a computer glitch! My original sentence printed out on your reply. It seems really strange that the sentence I'm concerned about printed out on your reply to me, but you couldn't see it.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Here is the question: "Writing is not just something someone says but a time for you and your reader to think together."

Looking at the sentence in context, it would appear that the second clause is dependent. However, if one were to think of the second clause in context of a reply that someone might make to a hypothitical question (having nothing to do with the original sentence), I can see that the second clause could be considered an independent clause.

Too much to consider here. I am just confused!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi gjo,
    Victory! I can read the sentence.

"Writing is not just something someone says but a time for you and your reader to think together."

I don't see how it's an independent clause; it's just a big, ole noun phrase: a time for you and your read to think together.

Let's try a simpler sentence and tell me how you would punctuate this: He's not a grown man but a little boy.

Would you even write this? Would it improve if you added a word like "rather" or a phrase like "instead is"?

... but rather it's an opportunity for you and your reader to share some thoughts. Is something like this what you mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Barb,

Now I am really hitting myself over the head. I had completely forgotten about noun clauses. Yikes. Thanks so much for your kind response.

I think what got me into trouble was that I kept thinking that second clause could be used as a good sentence if someone were responding to a hypothetical question that the clause would appropriately answer. (uh oh: was I supposed to have used a comma above after the word sentence?)

The second clause (original question) seemed to have a subject and it also had an infinitive. Therefore, I thought it might be an independent clause. Thanks to you, I will be asking myself if I might be looking at a noun clause the next time I am not able to decide on a comma in front of a conjunction.

Have any other clues I could use as a test for future sentences, if the noun clause test idea doesn't decide the issue?

I wish I understood how to use the private message feature of this forum. If I did, I would pick on you just every once in a long while!

In you debt,